Kennesaw State University facts for kids
|Kennesaw State University|
|Established||October 9, 1963|
|President||Pamela S. Whitten|
|Provost||Ronald H. Matson (interim)|
|Students||37,576 (Fall 2018)|
|Location||Kennesaw, Georgia, U.S.|
|Campus||Suburban, 581 acres (2.35 km2)|
|Colors||Black and Gold
|Athletics||NCAA Division I – A-Sun|
|Mascot||Scrappy the Owl|
KSU also holds classes at the Cobb Galleria Centre, Dalton State College, and in Paulding County (Dallas). Present enrollment is over 35,000 students, making it the third-largest university within Georgia and one of the top 50 largest universities in the United States.
KSU is part of the University System of Georgia. The university has a multitude of academic programs in business, education, engineering, nursing, physical sciences, information technology, criminal justice, and sports management. Both the Kennesaw and Marietta campuses are located in suburban areas on a combined 581 acres (235 ha) of land.
Kennesaw State is home to the state's largest Educational Technology Training Center (ETTC). The ETTC is one of 13 such centers around the state. Teachers and other school personnel from around the state come to the KSU ETTC for professional development.
KSU's Computer Science and Information Systems department hosts the Center for Election Systems, which certifies and monitors the direct recording electronic machines used in Georgia elections and trains local elections officials.
- Larry Nelson, Senior PGA Golf Pro
- Ty Pennington, host of ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and TLC's Trading Spaces
- Doug Stoner, Georgia State Senator
- Andy Azula, advertising director, creator of a series of UPS commercials
- Kandice Pelletier, Miss New York 2005, appeared on CBS's The Amazing Race 10
- Cale Yarbrough, professional MMA fighter, former cast member of SpikeTV's The Ultimate Fighter 7
- Willie Harris, Washington Nationals Major League Baseball player, World Series Champion with Chicago White Sox, 2005
- Max Pentecost, Catching prospect in Toronto Blue Jays organization, 1st Round pick of 2014 MLB Draft
- Mac Powell, lead singer of the contemporary Christian band "Third Day"
- Nick Ayers, Chief of Staff to the Vice President of the United States
- James Wade, professional basketball player
- Arturo Char, former Senator of Colombia and First Secretary of the Colombian Embassy in London
- Ali Shilatifard, molecular biologist
- Nels S.D. Peterson, lawyer and jurist
- Lauren Simmons, youngest female broker at the New York Stock Exchange
- Michael Caldwell, Republican member of the Georgia House of Representatives
- Charles Lollar, businessman and politician
- Raymond L. Atkins, author
- Dar'shun Kendrick, Democratic member of the Georgia House of Representatives
Images for kids
Kennesaw State University Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.