kids encyclopedia robot

Kircubbin, County Down facts for kids

Kids Encyclopedia Facts
Quick facts for kids
Kircubbin
Kircubbin Village from the air - geograph.org.uk - 1442596.jpg
Kircubbin is located in Northern Ireland
Kircubbin
Kircubbin
Population (2011 Census)
County
Country Northern Ireland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Police Northern Ireland
Fire Northern Ireland
Ambulance Northern Ireland
EU Parliament Northern Ireland
List of places
UK
Northern Ireland
Down
54°29′N 5°32′W / 54.483°N 5.533°W / 54.483; -5.533

Kircubbin is a village and townland in County Down, Northern Ireland. The village had a population of 1,153 people in the 2011 Census.

History

Kircubbin (then known as Cubinhillis) and nearby Inishargy are mentioned in early medieval records. This possible translation of the Irish name is the only evidence that connects the Irish Saint Goban to the village. John de Courcy, a Norman knight who invaded Ulster, brought Benedictines from Stoke Courcy in Somerset and Lonlay in France, for whom he founded Black Abbey (St Andrews in Ards), near Inishargy in the 1180s.

1798 Rebellion

The Rev. William Warwick, a Presbyterian minister in Kircubbin, was hanged in 1798 near his church, for the writing of seditious documents in support of the Irish Rebellion of 1798.

The Troubles

Two significant incidents occurred during the Troubles. No-one was killed or injured in either attack. In 1974, St Mary Star of the Sea Church, Nunsquarter, was badly damaged by a bomb which was planted at the side door of the chapel. One man, a local joiner, who was working in the church hall adjacent to the church, left the premises shortly before the bomb went off. During 1988-1989, McKenna Community Centre on the outskirts of the village was bombed several times in the course of the troubles. The last attack on the centre, rumoured to have been carried out by Red Hand Commandos resulted in it being completely destroyed. The centre since then has been rebuilt and is still in use today.

Population

2011 Census

In the 2011 Census Kircubbin had a population of 1,153 (471 households).

2001 Census

Kircubbin is classified as a village by the NI Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) (i.e. with population between 1,000 and 2,250 people). On Census day (29 April 2001) there were 1,214 people living in Kircubbin. Of these:

  • 25.0% were aged under 16 years and 17.4% were aged 60 and over
  • 48.9% of the population were male and the other 51.1% were female
  • 66.8% were from a Catholic background and 31.2% were Protestant

For more details see: NI Neighbourhood Information Service

Economy

In 2013, Echlinville Distillery was granted the first licence to distil spirits in Northern Ireland in over 130 years.

kids search engine
Kircubbin, County Down Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.