Köppen climate classification facts for kids(Redirected from Koeppen climate classification)
The Köppen climate classification is one of the most widely used climate classification systems.
It was developed by Wladimir Köppen, a German climatologist, around 1900 with several further modifications by himself, notably in 1918 and 1936.
- Group A is tropical. The average temperature in the coolest month must be at least 18° C.
- Group B is arid - desert and steppe/semi-arid. The average precipitation must be less than a certain amount that depends on the temperature.
- Group C is mesothermal, the subtropical and temperate climates. The warmest months must have an average greater than 10° C and the coldest month must have a temperature between 0 or -3° C and 18° C. This group includes humid subtropical, Mediterranean and oceanic.
- Group D is microthermal or continental (hot/warm summers and cold winters) and subarctic (short warm summers and cold winters). The warmest months must have an average greater than 10° C and the coldest months must have an average of less than 0 or -3° C.
- Group E is polar and alpine. The warmest month must have an average temperature less than 10° C.
- Group H is highland.
Images for kids
The snowy city of Sapporo
Köppen climate classification Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.