Moundsville, West Virginia facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Moundsville, West Virginia
Jefferson Avenue in downtown Moundsville
Location of Moundsville in Marshall County, West Virginia.
|• Total||3.36 sq mi (8.70 km2)|
|• Land||2.91 sq mi (7.53 km2)|
|• Water||0.45 sq mi (1.17 km2)|
|Elevation||696 ft (212 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||2,773/sq mi (1,071.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1543607|
Moundsville is a city in Marshall County, West Virginia, United States, along the Ohio River. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia metropolitan area. The population was 9,318 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Marshall County. The city was named for the nearby ancient Grave Creek Mound, constructed 250 to 100 BC by indigenous people of the Adena culture.
Moundsville is located at(39.921490, -80.739368).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.36 square miles (8.70 km2), of which, 2.91 square miles (7.54 km2) is land and 0.45 square miles (1.17 km2) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2010, there were 9,318 people, 4,016 households, and 2,445 families living in the city. The population density was 3,202.1 inhabitants per square mile (1,236.3/km2). There were 4,458 housing units at an average density of 1,532.0 per square mile (591.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.5% White, 0.8% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 0.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.1% of the population.
There were 4,016 households, of which 25.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.2% were married couples living together, 14.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.1% were non-families. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.79.
The median age in the city was 45.2 years. 19.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.2% were from 25 to 44; 30.1% were from 45 to 64; and 20.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.9% male and 52.1% female.
- Edward L. Athey, sports coach at Washington College.
- Steve Crabtree, Republican politician and media personality
- Frank De Vol, film and television music composer and actor
- Virginia B. Evans, painter, glass artist, and teacher
- Joseph W. Gallaher, businessman and politician
- Davis Grubb, novelist and story writer
- Kristin Lewicki, professional ice hockey player
- Adrian Melott, astrophysicist and astrobiologist
- Arch A. Moore, Jr., former Governor of West Virginia
- Ed Pastilong, football player, coach, and college athletics administrator, WVU's Director of Athletics for 21 years
- Ted Valentine, NCAA men's basketball referee and 2005 Naismith College Official of the Year.
In Spanish: Moundsville para niños
Moundsville, West Virginia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.