National Capital Parks-East facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsNational Capital Parks-East
|Area||6,546.92 acres (26.4944 km2)
federal: 6,482.78 acres (26.2349 km2) including National Mall and Memorial Parks
|Visitors||1,390,443 (in 2005)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
National Capital Parks-East (NACE) is an administrative grouping of multiple National Park Service sites east of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., and in the state of Maryland. These sites include:
- Anacostia Park
- Baltimore-Washington Parkway
- Buzzard Point Park and Buzzard Point Marina
- Capitol Hill Parks
- Carter G. Woodson Home National Historic Site
- Civil War Defenses of Washington – Fort Circle Parks – Includes the Civil War Forts and interconnecting parkways from Fort Greble to Fort Mahan.
- Fort Davis Park
- Fort Dupont Park
- Fort Foote Park
- Fort Stanton
- Fort Washington Park
- Frederick Douglass National Historic Site
- Greenbelt Park
- Harmony Hall
- James Creek Marina
- Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens
- Mary McLeod Bethune Council House National Historic Site
- Oxon Cove Park and Oxon Hill Farm
- Oxon Run Parkway (affiliated area)
- Piscataway Park
- Shepherd Parkway
- Suitland Parkway
NPS Visitor Contact Facilities
The headquarters of NACE is located in Anacostia Park at 1900 Anacostia Drive, SE. It is not a visitor center, but has an information desk in the lobby and is open to the public 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
Fort Washington Park has a Visitor Center that is open daily 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, April through October. The rest of the year, it closes at 4:00 PM.
Frederick Douglas NHS is open daily 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, April through October. The rest of the year, it closes at 4:30 PM.
Greenbelt Park Ranger Station is open daily 8:00 AM to 3:45 PM. The Park Headquarters is open five days a week 8:00 AM to 3:45 PM.
Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens book store and contact station is open daily 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
Mary McLeod Bethune Council House NHS is open daily 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, April through October. The rest of the year, it closes at 4:30 PM.