Political Parties in France facts for kids
France has a multi-party system, which means that several political parties must form coalitions in order to form a government. This is because it would be very difficult for any one party to win a majority of seats in the French National Assembly. Since the 1980s, there have been two major coalitions; one is a collection of right-wing parties and the other is a collection of left-wing parties.
National Front (Front National) - Promotes strong law enforcement, anti-immigration, Euroscepticism and a return to traditional French values.
National Centre of Independents and Peasants (Centre National des Indépendants et Paysans) - Promotes Social conservatism, Liberal conservatism and National conservatism.
Hunting, Fishing, Nature, Tradition (Chasse, Pêche, Nature, Traditions) - Promotes traditional rural values which include giving people the right to hunt and fish freely and the refusal of environmental legislation. Is also conservative and Eurosceptic.
Movement for France (Mouvement pour la France) - Promotes strong law enforcement, conservatism, anti-immigration and Euroscepticism.
Democratic Movement (Mouvement démocrate) - Promotes centrism, social liberalism and is Pro-European.
New Centre (Nouveau Centre) - Promotes Christian democracy and liberalism.
Radical Party (Party Radical) - Promotes liberalism.
Unitarian Left (Gauche Unitaire) - Promotes anti-capitalism and democratic socialism.
Far Left Parties
Workers' Struggle (Lutte Ouvrière) - Promotes Trotskyism and communism.
Radical Party of the Left (Parti Radical de Gauche) - Promotes left-wing radicalism and social liberalism.
- Royal Alliance (Alliance Royale)
- Nouvelle Action Royaliste
- Democratic rally (Rassemblement démocrate)
- Worker's Communist Party of France (Parti Communiste des Ouvriers de France)
- Independent Worker's Party (Parti ouvrier indépendant) - Trotskyist
- Pole of Communist Rebirth in France (Pôle de Renaissance Communiste en France)
- Ecology Generation (Génération Écologie)
- Independent Ecological Movement (Mouvement Écologiste Indépendant)
- Citizenship, Action, Participation for the 21st Century (Citoyenneté Action Participation pour le XXIe siècle)
- Union of Radical Republicans (Union des républicains radicaux)
- Liberal Democratic Party (Parti libéral démocrate)
- Pirate Party (Parti Pirate)
- Abertzaleen Batasuna - Basque nationalist
- Alsace d'abord (In English:Alsace First) - Alsace nationalist
- Savoyan League (Ligue savoisienne) - Savoy nationalist
- Breton Democratic Union (Union Démocratique Bretonne) - Breton nationalism
- Party of the Corsican Nation (U Partitu di a Nazione Corsa) - Corsican nationalism
- Corsica Libera - Corsican nationalism
Political Parties in France Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.