Portland, Texas facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Gem City By the Gulf
Location of Portland, Texas
|Counties||San Patricio, Nueces|
|• Total||9.6 sq mi (24.9 km2)|
|• Land||7.0 sq mi (18.1 km2)|
|• Water||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|Elevation||43 ft (13 m)|
|• Density||1,573/sq mi (606.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1344378|
Portland is located at United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.6 square miles (24.9 km²), of which 7.0 square miles (18.1 km²) is land and 2.6 square miles (6.8 km²) (27.44%) is water. The city is roughly equidistant from Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon.(27.883117, -97.320466). According to the
- Baker Park. Moore at Lawrence St.
- Bayside Park. Sabine at Chiltipin St.
- Briar Bluff Park. Marriott at West Waterview St.
- Chispa Park. Sabine at Seco St.
- Community Center Park and Aquatic Center Soccer Complex. Billy G. Webb Dr.
- East Cliff Park. Pecos at Georgia St.
- Indian Point Park. A lighted fishing pier located right off of Hwy 181.
- Municipal Park. Memorial at Lang St.
- Oak Ridge Park. Oak Ridge at Memorial Parkway.
- Portland Sports Complex. County Road 72.
- Simpson Park. East Broadway Ave.
- Sunset Lake Hike & Bike Trail and Wetlands. Located just down the road from Indian Point Pier right off Hwy 181.
- Twin Fountains Park. Matagorda at Amistad St.
- Violet Andrews Park. Wildcat at 1st Ave.
- Willacy Park. Daniel Morre at Center St.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,827 people, 5,021 households, and 4,051 families residing in the city . The population density was 2,125.5 people per square mile (820.2/km²). There were 5,351 housing units at an average density of 767.1 per square mile (296.0/km²).
There were 5,021 households out of which 47.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.6% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.3% were non-families. 16.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the city, the population was 32.6% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 31.2% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 7.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 98.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.1 males. The median income for a household in the city was $48,574, and the median income for a family was $52,220. Males had a median income of $37,316 versus $25,722 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,871. About 5.8% of families and 7.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.3% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
The original, 640-acre townsite of Portland was purchased by John G. Willacy in 1890. In 1891, Willacy sold the land to the Portland (Maine) Harbor & Improvement Co. A map was filed at the County Courthouse and Portland was official as the "Gem City of the Gulf." Portland is situated on the second highest bluff on the Gulf Coast and overlooks both Nueces and Corpus Christi bays.
Images for kids
Portland, Texas Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.