Nueces County, Texas facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
The Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi
Location within the U.S. state of Texas
Texas's location within the U.S.
|Named for||Nueces River|
|Largest city||Corpus Christi|
|• Total||1,166 sq mi (3,020 km2)|
|• Land||838 sq mi (2,170 km2)|
|• Water||327 sq mi (850 km2) 28%|
|• Density||302.90/sq mi (116.95/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Nueces County is located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2020 census, the population was 353,178, making it the 16th-most populous county in the state. The county seat is Corpus Christi. The county was formed in 1846 from portions of San Patricio County and organized the following year. It is named for the Nueces River, which marks the county's northwestern boundary with San Patricio County before emptying into its mouth at Nueces Bay north of the port of Corpus Christi. Nueces County is part of the Corpus Christi metropolitan statistical area.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has an area of 1,166 square miles (3,020 km2), of which 838 square miles (2,170 km2) is land and 327 square miles (850 km2) (28%) is water. It borders the Gulf of Mexico.
|U.S. Decennial Census
1850–2010 2010 2020
|Race / Ethnicity||Pop 2010||Pop 2020||% 2010||% 2020|
|White alone (NH)||111,870||106,165||32.88%||30.06%|
|Black or African American alone (NH)||12,178||12,651||3.58%||3.58%|
|Native American or Alaska Native alone (NH)||882||907||0.26%||0.26%|
|Asian alone (NH)||5,495||7,712||1.62%||2.18%|
|Pacific Islander alone (NH)||209||281||0.06%||0.08%|
|Some Other Race alone (NH)||399||1,264||0.12%||0.36%|
|Mixed Race/Multi-Racial (NH)||2,897||7,146||0.85%||2.02%|
|Hispanic or Latino (any race)||206,293||217,052||60.63%||61.46%|
Note: the US Census treats Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic category. This table excludes Latinos from the racial categories and assigns them to a separate category. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race.
Cities (multiple counties)
- Aransas Pass (partly in San Patricio and Aransas counties)
- Corpus Christi (county seat) (small parts in Kleberg, San Patricio and Aransas counties)
- Ingleside (mostly in San Patricio County)
- Portland (mostly in San Patricio County)
- San Patricio (mostly in San Patricio County)
- Agua Dulce Independent School District
- Aransas Pass Independent School District
- Banquete Independent School District
- Bishop Consolidated Independent School District
- Calallen Independent School District
- Driscoll Independent School District
- Flour Bluff Independent School District
- London Independent School District
- Port Aransas Independent School District
- Robstown Independent School District
- Tuloso-Midway Independent School District
- West Oso Independent School District
Del Mar College is the designated community college for all of Nueces County.
Nueces County, Texas Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.