Roberto Benigni facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Benigni receiving a prize in Terni, February 2006
Roberto Remigio Benigni
27 October 1952
Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy
Nicoletta Braschi (m. 1991)
Roberto Remigio Benigni, Cavaliere di Gran Croce OMRI ( born 27 October 1952) is an Italian actor, comedian, screenwriter and director. He co-wrote, directed and acted in the 1997 film Life Is Beautiful, which won him the Academy Award for Best Actor at the 71st Oscars Ceremony. He also portrayed Inspector Clouseau's son in Son of the Pink Panther (1993) and has collaborated with filmmaker Jim Jarmusch in three of his films: Down by Law (1986), Night on Earth (1991) and Coffee and Cigarettes (2003).
In other media
Roberto Benigni is also a singer-songwriter. Among his recorded performances are versions of Paolo Conte's songs.
In addition to numerous film awards, Benigni has garnered honorary degrees from universities worldwide:
- 1999 – Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy from the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheba, Israel.
- 2002 – Honorary Doctorate in Letters from the University of Bologna, Italy.
- 2003 – Honorary Degree in Psychology from the Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan, Italy.
- 2007 – Honorary Doctorate in Letters from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium.
- 2007 – Honorary Degree in Modern Philology from the University of Florence, Italy.
- 2008 – Honorary Doctorate in Letters from the University of Malta.
- 2008 – Honorary Degree in Communication Arts from the Touro University Rome, Zagarolo, Italy.
- 2012 – Honorary Degree in Modern Philology from the University of Calabria, Italy.
- 2012 – Honorary Doctorate in Letters from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 2015 – Honorary Doctorate in Laws from the University of Toronto, Canada.
Images for kids
Benigni on the stage of TuttoDante in Padua, June 2008.
Roberto Benigni Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.