Tayo the Little Bus facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsTayo the Little Bus
|Written by||Choi Jong-il|
|Directed by||Kim Min-sung|
Jul Kohler (Season 1-3, 5)
Robyn Slade (Season 1-2, The Tayo Movie: Mission Ace)
Carol Tyler (Season 3-4)
Aramis Merlin (Season 1-3)
Nolan Balzer (Season 1-2)
Aidan Williams (Season 3-5)
Kami Desilets (Season 1-2)
Eva Davis (Season 3-4)
Alexis Song (Season 5)
Tea Wagner (Season 1-3)
Kerri Salki (Season 1-2, 5)
Ginger Hendricks (Season 3-4)
Jolie L'Esperance (Season 1-2)
Sandra Hilton (Season 3-4)
Alexis Song (Season 5)
Clarissa Hoffman (The Tayo Movie: Mission Ace)
|Narrated by||Heather Madill|
|Opening theme||Tayo the Little Bus|
|Ending theme||Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||130|
|Running time||11 minutes per episode|
|Production company(s)||Iconix Entertainment, Educational Broadcasting System, Seoul Metropolitan Government|
|Distributor||Educational Broadcasting System|
|Original network||Educational Broadcasting System
|Original release||23 August 2010– 7 June 2019|
Tayo the Little Bus (Hangul: 꼬마버스 타요; RR: Kkoma-beoseu Tayo) is a South Korean computer-animated television series created by Iconix Entertainment, Educational Broadcasting System and the Metropolitan Government of Seoul. The show was produced with the help of Seoul mayor Oh Se-hoon's administration. It began airing in South Korea on EBS in 2010 and an English-dubbed version of the series began airing on Disney Junior (Asia) in 2012, with Disney Junior (Australia and New Zealand) following in 2013. In the United States and Canada, Hulu is the exclusive distributor of the series, though the second and third seasons are on Netflix.
The series is about four buses in a city populated with anthropomorphic vehicles: Tayo (Bus 120), Rogi (Bus 1000), Lani (Bus 02), and Gani (Bus 1339).
Each episode in the start, middle, and end features a brief narration and it has five seasons. A spin-off series to Tayo, known as "Titipo Titipo", premiered between the main series’ fourth season and fifth season. Titipo focuses on the titular character named Titipo, a young passenger train the show is named after along with all his train friends. After the end of Titipo's first season, Tayo's fifth season premiered for English-speaking audiences on October 22, 2018. Titipo the little train returns on the Korean channel for the second season. Titipo's second season premiered for English-speaking audiences starting November 19, 2020. In late 2020, Tayo the Little Bus spinoff Magic Bus Tayo (Korean: 마법버스 타요) was released.
The series is available in Korean, English, Spanish, Japanese, Turkish, Indonesian, German, and Russian on the production company's Tayo YouTube channel.
The series features seven main characters. Each of the four original characters (Tayo, Gani, Lani & Rogi) is based on the four actual colors and types of Seoul Buses.
- Tayo (Bus 120, blue) is friendly, playful, and sometimes mischievous. He is the 3rd largest and 3rd oldest of the four buses. In the fourth-season episode, Who Is The Real Tayo?, it is revealed that he has a clone of his named Star Tayo, which was in one of his dreams. Tayo also appears as a minor character in the Titipo Titipo series and has appeared in the Season 1 episodes: Going to Choo-Choo Town, Genie Makes a New Friend, and Titipo and Tayo. For Season 2, he appeared in the episodes: A Long Haul: Part 1, Fix and Lift's Music Battle, Loco the Fabulous Freight Train, Oh Please, Genie, Diesel and Rogi and Genie's New Friend.
- Voiced by
- Jul Kohler (A Day in the Life of Tayo (2010) - Tayo's Christmas (2014), Thanks Gani (2018) - The Little Dinosaur Friend: Part 2 (2019)
- Robyn Slade (A Day in the Life of Tayo (2010) - Hana's Special Day (2014)
- Carol Tyler (Nice to Meet You Peanut (2016) - The Little Buses' Play (2016)
- Rogi (Bus 1000, green) he is conceited, outgoing, and also mischievous, but he is good-hearted. although the two often get into fights with each other. Funny and mischievous himself, Toto also has an interest in detective work, as can be seen in episodes like Rogi the Detective! and Prank Call Madness. Rogi appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episodes: Oh Please, Genie, Diesel and Rogi and Genie's New Friend.
- Voiced by
- Aramis Merlin (A Day in the Life of Tayo (2010) - Tayo's Christmas (2014)
- Nolan Balzer (A Day in the Life of Tayo (2010) - Hana's Special Day (2014)
- Aidan Williams (The New Friend, Heart (2014) - The Little Dinosaur Friend: Part 2 (2019)
- Lani (Bus 02, yellow) She is cute, cheerful, kind, sweet-natured however, she is timid, sensitive, and temperamental. Possessing little tolerance for arguments, she often acts as a mediator between Tayo and Toto. She is the smallest and youngest of the four buses and is often considered the cute one of the group. Lani then appeared in the second season episodes of Titipo Titipo: Fix and Lift's Music Battle, Welcome, Jenny and Oh Please, Genie.
- Voiced by
- Kami Desilets (A Day in the Life of Tayo (2010) - Hana's Special Day (2014)
- Eva Davis (Season 3-4)
- Alexis Song (Rogi's Extraordinary Challenge (2018) - The Little Dinosaur Friend Part 2 (2019)
- Gani (Bus 1339, red), who is hardworking, warm-hearted, and shy. while slightly timid and insecure, He is the largest and oldest of the four buses and often acts as the most mature one of the group. Gani appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episodes: Oh Please, Genie and Diesel and the Baby Cars.
- Voiced by
- Tea Wagner (Our New Friend, Gani (2010) - Tayo's Christmas (2014)
- Kerri Salki (Let's Be Friends (2010) - Hana's Special Day (2014), Thanks Gani (2018) - The Little Dinosaur Friend Part 2 (2019)
- Ginger Hendricks (Season 3-4)
- Peanut (Bus 03, white and turquoise) is an eco-friendly city and tour bus that is good-natured and mellow. As he is shaped just like a peanut on the top, he gains this name. He can cause mischief sometimes but is a very kind bus. He was introduced in Season 4 along with the city tram Trammy.
- Trammy (Tram 270, purple) is a city tram that was introduced in Season 4 along with Peanut.
- Sky is the control center and garage of Tammy, he is located on the mountain top near the reservoir and is accessible by the mountain tram and bus stop.
- Hana is a kind mechanic, who takes care of the little buses and works in the bus depot repair shop. She then appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episodes: Fix and Lift's Music Battle and A Gift for Teo.
- Citu (sometimes spelled Cito) is a red double-decker tour bus, serves as a father-figure for Tayo, Rogi, Lani, Gani, Peanut and Trammy. He often chastises Tayo and Rogi for driving too rough in the garage. However, in the second-season episode, Cito's Secret, it is revealed that he had a boisterous past himself. An old mentor of his, Booba, appeared in this episode.
- Heart is Hana's kind pink helper car. In the past, brown is her color in the third-season episode, The New Friend, Heart. Speed has a bit of a crush on her. Heart appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: A Gift for Teo.
Frequent supporting characters
- Nuri is a calm and professional transgender taxi who first met Tayo in the first-season episode, A Day in the Life of Tayo. She/he is very nice to Tayo and his friends, often visiting them at the bus depot. She then appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episode: Fix and Lift's Music Battle.
- Rookie is a police officer who sometimes goofs up with his job because he is new to it.
- Pat is an experienced police car who is always serious when working. Rookie is Pat's police officer.
- Speed (whose original name was Speedy) is a red car that likes to go really fast and is a little mischievous. Speed has a bit of a crush on Heart, but she is oblivious of it. Speed later appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episode: Fix and Lift's Music Battle.
- Shine is an overly proud and vain yellow car who likes to show off, repeatedly leading to his own embarrassment. Shine is Speed's best friend. Shine later appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episode: Fix and Lift's Music Battle alongside Speed.
Recurring supporting characters
- Toto is a yellow tow truck who is really responsible with his job. Toto also made an appearance in the Titipo Titipo season 1 episode Titipo and Tayo.
- Air is a red helicopter who is part of the rescue team.
- Bong Bong is a very chipper light blue baby van modeled on the classic VW minibus. First appearance in Tayo and Bong Bong. Bong Bong appeared with Oli and the other baby cars in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: Diesel and the Baby Cars. Bong Bong is also named after a meme in social media
- Oli is a very chipper light green baby car. First appearance in the second-season episode, Tayo and Bongbong and named for the first time in the fourth-season episode, Who is cooler?. Oli appeared with Bong Bong and the other baby cars in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: Diesel and the Baby Cars.
- Carry is a vehicle transporter akin to a mother or babysitter for Bongbong, Oli, an unnamed blue baby pickup truck, and an unnamed baby yellow taxi. Carry dosent appear in 2nd sesaon of titipo titipo and sesaon 5 of tayo the little bus but carry also known as a male car carrier
- Champ is a turquoise countryside Land Rover, who got praised and follows Cooku's invitation.
- Cooku (whose name was originally Coco) is a white and blue countryside bus.
- Tony also known as Cracker (not Crackeris a little truck that obeys traffic laws and likes to teach other cars about traffic laws. In the first-season episode, I Want New Tires, he was so busy teaching other cars about traffic laws that he got late delivering Tayo's new tires to the garage. Tony appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episode: Fix and Lift's Music Battle.
- Alice is an ambulance who works in a hospital who likes to work with Frank when there is a fire. She is responsible for taking ill people to the hospital right on time. Alice appeared alongside Jay in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: Troublemaker Chichi In uk alice is also referred as male
- Frank is a fire truck who works with Alice when there is a fire. He is very serious about his job and is responsible for fighting fires and saving people in danger.
- Big is a big container truck that delivers goods to the airport to be sent overseas.
- Billy is a yellow bulldozer who works at the construction site with Poco, Chris, and Max. He is good at juggling. He appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episode: Oh Please, Genie.
- Poco is a yellow excavator who works at the construction site with Billy, Chris, and Max. He can rotate himself and spin his chassis around and around. He appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episodes: Fix and Lift's Music Battle and Oh Please, Genie.
- Chris is an orange cement truck who works at the construction site with Billy, Poco, and Max. He mixes up cement for new foundations. He shares Max's model. Max appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episode: Oh Please, Genie.
- Max is a green dump truck who works at the construction site with Billy, Poco, and Chris. He can dump a huge pile of sand for a job. He shares Big and Chris's cab model. Max appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episodes: Fix and Lift's Music Battle and Oh Please, Genie.
- Met is a subway train who knows about everything - even in the first-season episode, Rogi's Hiccups, he showed this by helping Rogi to stop hiccupping. If anyone feels down, Met will know what to do. He is modelled after the second generation of Korail Class 341000. Met has not appeared on the show since the 21st episode of Season 4.
- Nana is a bus living in the countryside with Ractor, Cooku, and Champ. She idolizes Tayo. She first appeared in the second-season episode, Nana Visits the City.
- Wondie is an old blue-and-beige bus who was scrapped a year before the first season, but also make cameo appearances.
- Ractor (whose name was originally Larry) is a red tractor who lives in the countryside with Cooku, Champ, and Nana.
- Rubby is a cleaning truck that likes to clean up garbage. He first appears in the second-season episode, A New Playground!.
- Iracha (sometimes mistakenly referred to as Lracha, Ratch, and Vroomy and also known as coconut in uk dub) (Not coconut is a clumsy dark blue pick-up truck who shares Tony's model. He constantly makes mistakes, but knows that he is more careful, and runs on time as Jay showed him how.
- Booba is an old van that used to keep scolding Citu for constant mischief when the latter was younger. It was revealed that he used to ride with Steam in "Booba's Vacation". He then appeared in Titipo Titipo in the second season episode: Fix and Lift's Music Battle alongside Steam.
- Ms. Teach is a car with a white-and-purple livery. With a yellow medalion on her carneck She always teaches the other vehicles in school.
- Princess Rayvelin is a princess from another planet on a spaceship who helps Tayo defeat Bully the space pirate.
- Kinder is a Kindergarten school bus who takes kids on field trips. He seemed to replace Kindy Bus. He appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: Eric is the Best.
- Duri is a cheery boy who lives where Jerry used to live. He is one of Tayo's best friends.
- Jay is a rescuer is now a member of the team of the emergency center. She appeared alongside Alice in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: Troublemaker Chichi.
- Joy (whose name was originally Joey) is a magician.
- Andy is an artist who formally started off as a graffiti artist but has changed his ways. He appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episodes: We're Sorry, Eric, Eric is the Best and A Gift for Teo.
- ’’’candy’’’ is andy’s colourful countryside land rover truck who is very identical to champ but is colourful
- Asura is a mischievous wizard who pulled magic pranks on the buses but has learned to make friends.
- Star Tayo is actually a fake Tayo who looks almost identical to the real Tayo.
- ’’’Star Kinder’’’ is actually a fake Kinder who looks almost identical to the real Kinder
- Jimmy is a guitarist musician who plays his guitar on the street in front of people. He appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: We're Sorry, Eric alongside Jenny.
- Jenny (not to be confused with the train introduced in Titipo's second season) is a singer who she teams up with Jimmy. She appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: We're Sorry, Eric alongside Jimmy.
- Hana's aunt is the Aunt that Tayo meets in Hollywood California.
- Hans is a blind musician with a seeing dog who plays the cello at a concert.
- Princess is a cat owned by the little girl.
- Blackie is a black stray dog who was found by Tayo and later gets owned by Duri.
- Miley is a famous superstar actress from Hollywood, California in the United States.
- Black is a black car agent who protects Miley.
- Titi is a mother cat who protects her baby kittens.
- Chirp-Chirp is a mother bird who builds her nest and lays three eggs and protects it.
- Lolly is a friendly tour bus that speaks with a British accent, but unlike other little buses, she lives in a different city.
- Moo Moo is the cow who blocks the road and gets in Tayo's way.
- Bird Expert is a man who's an expert on studying birds and relocating their nest.
- Santa Claus is a jolly man who rides the flying sleigh with Rudolph the Reindeer. He appeared in Titipo Titipo's second season episode: A Special Day for Diesel. He tasked and rode on Diesel to deliver presents at Christmas to and from his workshop while his steam engine sleigh was being repaired. The model is based on Steam.
- Rudolph a reindeer that can magically fly and pulls the sleigh, he is Santa Claus pet.
- Villain the leader of the Researchers on a hunt to capture Tino.
- Villain's Secret Agents are a group of secret agents who are looking for the alien T-rex baby dinosaur Tino to take it away for research.
- Professor is the boss of Villain.
- Tino is a young dinosaur. He is based on Tyrannosaurus who has telekinetic powers to lift objects off the ground.
- Tori a toy car with mouse or bear ears. He is from the film The Tayo Movie Mission: Ace.
- Blo a toy army truck with is Tori's friend. He is from the film The Tayo Movie Mission: Ace
- Anne is Hana's mother who's a paleontologist and is hunting for dinosaurs.
- Guardian X (whose name was originally Fireball) is the hero in the city.
- Thunderbolt is Guardian X's car who shares Leo's model.
- ’’’background characters’’’ are the rest of characters who never speak
Characters with bongbong oli and 2 unnamed babycars
- ’’’Sonic and Speed’’’ are two baby cars sonic is a yellow baby taxi (not to be confused with Sonic the Hedgehog) and speed is a blue baby truck who was very identical to iratcha (not to be confused with a sport car with a same name)
- ’’’Penelophe, Jacob, Toni Jr, Redoli and Pinky’’’ are the other baby care are in the Tayo flash games Penelope is a purple baby car who is identical to heart, Jacob is a black baby truck and Toni Jr is a baby truck who is identical to Toni but is a baby car Redoli is a red baby car similar to Oli but is red and Pinky is a pink baby car who is identical to Heart and Penelope.
Characters from Titipo Titipo
The series features four main characters.
- Titipo is a young passenger locomotive who is best friends with Genie and Diesel. He often makes mistakes, but he still wants to become the best passenger train in the world. He has colored red and white with a light sky blue lining and is likely based on a Korail NDC. He also appeared in Tayo the Little Bus in the episode Tayo and Titipo's Race.
- Teo is a kind mechanic who takes care of little trains and works at the Train Production Plant.
- Mr. Herb is a boss of the railroad yard. In Episode 21, it is revealed that he made a lot of mistakes when he was younger. He appeared in Titipo's sister series Tayo the Little Bus alongside Steam and Diesel in the episode Booba's Vacation.
- Genie is a pink, white and gray female passenger train likely based on a Bombardier JetTrain, who loves puppies, flowers, and all things pink. She also appeared in the Tayo the Little Bus Season 5 episode: "Rogi and the Lucky Genie".
- Diesel is a mischievous green freight train resembling a crocodile locomotive, who is known for showing off and telling fictional stories and as a result, often gets into trouble with Mr. Herb. He also appeared in Tayo the Little Bus alongside Mr. Herb and Steam in the episode Booba's Vacation. He then met Tayo for the first time in the episode Titipo and Tayo.
- Xingxing is a shy white bullet train with a red lining (similar to an ICE train) modelled on a KTX-Sancheon, who doesn't have time to stop and talk to her friends during her shift. In the second season episode: Xingxing's Secret, she reveals that she is not good at singing so she tries to perfect that ability in an old industrial warehouse without anyone else's knowledge.
- Eric is a blue-colored, older commuter train resembling a KiHa 58 series, who is very mature and takes his job very seriously and as a result, has a hard time having fun with the other trains.
- Loco is a friendly yellow freight locomotive who enjoys making new friends, and looks up to Diesel, and wants to be as good as him someday. He is also scared of the dark, as seen in S1EP23 of Titipo Titipo. He seems to resemble various locomotives from the Soviet Union, such as the VL10.
- Fix and Lift are a duo of two yellow breakdown vehicles who love to sing and have a very hip personality, but are always ready in case of emergency. Fix is a rail-mounted crane locomotive, while Lift is a road-rail forklift.
- Tony (not to be confused with the delivery truck of the same name) is a large dark blue freight locomotive who met Titipo at the Train Production Plant and brought him back there from the harbor. In S1EP19, he derailed because of a windstorm when he was heading his way to the harbor.
- Craney is a red chatterbox container crane who works at the harbor, known for lifting containers really fast.
- Boom-Boom is a mischievous reddish-orange passenger train whom Titipo had to take over due to him derailing on a curve from over-speeding, which lead to Titipo taking his shift. He only appeared in the third episode of season 1 of Titipo Titipo, and it is unknown if he might appear again. Another locomotive that uses his model also appears in the Season 2 episode "Welcome, Jenny!".
- Manny and Berny are twin freight locomotives who look very similar but have very different personalities. Manny is strong and tough, while Berny is shy and timid. It is also revealed that Manny has a phobia of animals while Berny has a fond nature for flowers and animals. They are an homage to various locomotives that work on the Canadian National railways. Manny and Berny starred in one of Guardian X's film's in the second season episode: Manny and Berny are Movie Stars where Berny was given the part after auditioning. However, due to his shyness with his voice in his role, it was given to Manny as his voice stood out. Berny felt left out and after talking to his brother for a bit and with the help of Jenny, they came up with a plan where Berny would still do his role, but instead Manny would lend his voice to Berny for the Guardian X's film. This plan was successful.
- Setter is a bluish-green shunter who is very organized with his job, being capable of handling and sorting all of the rolling stock. It is also revealed that he likes to spend his day off all by himself.
- Steam is an old steam locomotive whom Titipo saved from scrap. He is very old and loves to tell stories to the younger trains. He appeared in Titipo's sister series Tayo the Little Bus alongside Mr. Herb and Diesel in the episode Booba's Vacation.
- Danny is a blue track inspection car modelled on Union Pacific EC-5, who usually works at night. In S1EP23 of Titipo Titipo, he tries to calm Loco down during his night shift.
- Jenny is a female freight locomotive modeled on an EMD F-unit, who first appeared in the second season episode A Long Haul Part 2 and moved permanently to Choo-Choo Town.
- Super Z is Guardian X's train who reuses Tony's model, appearing in the S2 episode, "A Gift For Teo".
In 2014, the Seoul Metropolitan Government commissioned buses designed as the characters Tayo, Gani, Rogi, and Lani, to run around the Gwanghwamun Square area of the city. This was done as part of an initiative to teach children how to use the bus. The initiative was a massive success, drawing crowds of over 40,000 in a single day. People from all across the country came to see the buses. Although the buses were originally set to run from March 26 until Public Transport Day at the end of April, their popularity led to an extension until Children's Day on May 5. The number of buses was also expanded from the original four to 100. In wake of this success, it was reported that the local governments of other cities in South Korea were considering adopting the campaign. Officials for the city of Seoul initially opposed this on copyright grounds, but they consented in April to letting other cities use the characters for non-commercial purposes.
Jaeyeon Woo of The Wall Street Journal's blog Korea Real-Time, speculated in an April 2014 article that the success of this initiative led both of Gyeonggi Province's gubernatorial candidates, Kim Sang-gon and Nam Kyung-pil, to adopt public transportation issues as a key part of their campaign platforms. Seoul-mayor Park Won-soon, who began the initiative, has been criticized by some of his political rivals, who feel that he took credit for the series, even though the series was begun by his predecessor's administration.
On October 16, 2014, a South Korean group called the Teen Astronauts, launched a space balloon designed as the character Tayo from the Space Science Park in Korea's National Science Museum.
Films and special episodes
- The Tayo Movie: Mission Ace (2016)
- Tayo's Vroom Vroom Adventure (2017)
- Tayo's Toy Adventure (2019)
- Tayo Dino Kingdom Adventure (2019)
Tayo's Sing Along Show
Tayo's Sing Along Show is an animation program that aired on EBS in the first season from July 5 to September 27, 2013, and the second season from July 3 to September 25, 2015. It is an extra work of Tayo. The program is a new type of animation in which children's friend, Tayo, the little bus, decorates an exciting song with various car friends.
Tayo the Little Bus Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.