Timeline of Orlando, Florida facts for kids
|History of Florida|
The seal of Florida reflects the state's Native American ancestry
|U.S. Territorial Period||1822–1845|
|American Revolutionary War||1775–1783|
|War of 1812||1811–1814|
|First Seminole War||1817–1818|
|Capitol moved to
|Second Seminole War||1835–1842|
|Third Seminole War||1855–1858|
|Ordinance of Secession||1861|
|Gore v. Harris
2000 Presidential Election
- Town of Orlando incorporated.
- William Jackson Brack becomes mayor.
- 1878 - Orange County Reporter newspaper begins publication.
- South Florida Railroad begins operating.
- Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church established.
- 1884 - Orange County Jail built.
- Orlando Black (school) opens.
- Orlando Street Railway begins operating (approximate date).
- English Club formed.
- 1889 - Church Street Station built.
- 1891 - St. James Cathedral built.
- Courthouse built.
- Lake Eola Park established.
- 1900 - Florida Christian Recorder newspaper begins publication.
- 1905 - City Hall built.
- 1910 - Population: 3,894.
- 1913 - Grand Theater opens.
- 1914 - Commission form of government effected.
- 1918 - Orange General Hospital opens.
- Beacham Theater opens.
- Jones High School active.
- Orlando Utilities Commission established; municipal electric plant begins operating.
- Albertson Public Library opens.
- Edgewater Heights, Lorna Doone Park, and Orwin Manor become part of Orlando.
- Orlando Museum of Art founded.
- Orange Court Hotel built.
- 1925 - Glendonjo Park and Spring Lake Terrace become part of Orlando.
- Country Club Estates, Ivanhoe Plaza, Oakhurst Subdivision, Orlando Highlands, Princeton Court, and Silver Lake Park become part of Orlando.
- Atlantic Coast Line Railroad station, Cathedral Church of St. Luke, and Municipal Auditorium built.
- Well'sbuilt Hotel in business.
- 1927 - Orange County Courthouse built.
- 1928 - Orlando Municipal Airport begins operating.
- 1934 - Orlando Dixie Sun newspaper begins publication.
- 1940 - Orlando Army Air Base established.
- 1943 - Pinecastle Army Airfield in operation.
- 1945 - Negro Chamber of Commerce established.
- 1946 - Ben White Raceway opens.
- 1949 - Gatorland opens.
- 1952 - William R. Boone High School built.
- WDBO-TV begins broadcasting.
- Bishop Moore High School built.
- 1956 - Colonial Plaza shopping centre in business.
- 1960 - Central Florida Museum opens.
- 1961 - Harry P. Leu Gardens deeded to city.
- Florida Technological University opens.
- Naval Training Center Orlando and Catholic Diocese of Orlando established.
- Lake Highland Preparatory School founded.
- Population: 99,006 city; 344,311 county.
- University Drive-In cinema built.
- Disney World in business.
- Historical Society of Central Florida headquartered in Orlando.
- Orlando Fashion Square Mall opens
- Sentinel Star newspaper began publication.
- SeaWorld theme park in business.
- 1974 - East-West Expressway constructed.
- 1975 - Metropolitan Orlando Women's Political Caucus and Orlando Lutheran Academy founded.
- Orlando International Airport in operation.
- Disney's Discovery Island in business.
- Orlando Regional Medical Center established.
- Wet 'n Wild Orlando theme park in business.
- Orlando Opera incorporated.
- Basilica of Mary (church) built.
- July: Racial unrest.
- Bill Frederick becomes mayor.
- Population: 128,291 city; 471,016 county.
- 1981 - Bill McCollum becomes U.S. representative for Florida's 5th congressional district.
- 1983 - Orange County Convention Center opens.
- 1984 - Orlando Science Center active.
- 1986 - The Peabody Orlando hotel and Disney's Living Seas in business.
- 1987 - Dr. Phillips High School opens.
- 1989 - Orlando-UCF Shakespeare Festival begins.
- Orlando Arena (now the Amway Arena) opened
- UCF Arena opens.
- Orlando Predators football team formed.
- Cypress Creek High School and Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra established.
- Orlando International Fringe Theater Festival begins.
- Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division in operation.
- Glenda Hood becomes mayor.
- 1994 - June–July: Some 1994 FIFA World Cup games held in Orlando.
- 1996 - City website online (approximate date).[chronology citation needed]
- Muvico Pointe cinema in business.
- Mennello Museum opens.
- Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park in business.
- 1999 - Cinemark Festival Bay Mall (cinema) in business.
- 2002 - Millenia Mall in business.
- Freedom High School established.
- Buddy Dyer becomes mayor.
- 2007 - CFE Arena opens.
- Amway Center event venue opens.
- Orlando City Soccer Club formed.
- Daniel Webster becomes U.S. representative for Florida's 8th congressional district.
- Population: 238,300; metro 2,171,360.
- 2015 - Orlando Eye ferris wheel built.
- 2016 - Orlando nightclub shooting
Timeline of Orlando, Florida Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.