240 facts for kids
|Centuries:||2nd century – 3rd century – 4th century|
|Decades:||210s 220s 230s – 240s – 250s 260s 270s|
|Years:||237 238 239 – 240 – 241 242 243|
- The Roman Empire is threatened on several fronts at the same time. Africa revolts and tribes in northwest Germania, under the name of the Franks, are raiding the Rhine frontier.
- Maharaja Sri-Gupta becomes Emperor of Gupta.
- Ardashir I, Sassanid king of Persia, destroys Hatra.
- Shapur I becomes co-emperor with his father Ardashir I
- The Kushan Empire falls.
- At the court of Ardashir I, Mani, a young mystic of Ctesiphon, calls himself a prophet and preaches his doctrine, Manichaeism, throughout the Persian Empire.
- Lactantius, Christian writer (d. 320) (approximate date)
- Sporus of Nicaea, Greek mathematician and astronomer (approximate date)
- Zenobia, queen of the Palmyrene Empire (d. 274)
240 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.