422 facts for kids
|Centuries:||4th century – 5th century – 6th century|
|Decades:||390s 400s 410s – 420s – 430s 440s 450s|
|Years:||419 420 421 – 422 – 423 424 425|
Year 422 (CDXXII) was a common year starting on Sunday of the Julian calendar.
- End of the Roman–Sassanid War: Emperor Theodosius II signs a 100-year peace treaty with Persia after 2 years of war. Both give freedom of religion in their territories.
- March 3 – Theodosius II issues a law to form provisions in peacetime. Theodosius pays an annual tribute of 350 pounds of gold to the Huns to buy peace.
- Theodosius II receives a statue at Hebdomon. On its base (fragments are now in the Istanbul Archaeology Museum), writing praises him as “everywhere and forever victorius.”
- The walls of Rome's Flavian Amphitheater (Colosseum) crack during an earthquake.
- The Roman army invade Gaul. They capture and execute the Frankish king Theudemeres with his family.
- Shao Di, age 16, eldest son of Wu Di succeeds his father as emperor of the Liu Song Dynasty (China).
- Petrus, bishop of Illyria, starts construction of Church of Santa Sabina (approximate date).
- September 4 – Pope Boniface I dies after a 4-year reign. His time was interrupted for 15 weeks by the faction of the antipope Eulalius. He is succeeded by Celestine I as the 43rd pope.
- Casper, ruler of the Maya city of Palenque
- Genevieve, patron saint (approximate date)
- Licinia Eudoxia, Roman empress (d. 462)
- Abraham of Cyrrhus, Syrian hermit and bishop
- Fa-Hien, Chinese Buddhist monk and traveler (approximate date)
- September 4 – Pope Boniface I
- Theudemeres, king of the Franks (approximate date)
- Wu Di, emperor of the Liu Song Dynasty (b. 363)
- In Spanish: 422
All content from Kiddle encyclopedia articles (including the article images and facts) can be freely used under Attribution-ShareAlike license, unless stated otherwise. Cite this article:422 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.