Chaat facts for kids
|Place of origin||India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal|
|Region or state||South Asia|
Chaat (Hindi/Nepali: चाट, Urdu/Punjabi: چاٹ ) is a term describing good snacks. Chaat is most likely to be found at road-side tracks from food carts in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh. Chaat is made of fried dough, which can be filled with different ingredients. Chaat commonly contains pieces of potato, chickpeas, and spices.
The chaat variants are all based on fried dough, with various other ingredients. The original chaat is a mixture of potato pieces, crisp fried bread dahi vada or dahi bhalla, gram or chickpeas and tangy-salty spices, with sour home-made Indian chilly and saunth (dried ginger and tamarind sauce), fresh green coriander leaves and yogurt for garnish, but other popular variants included aloo tikkis or samosa (garnished with onion, coriander, hot spices and a dash of curd), bhel puri, dahi puri, panipuri, dahi vada, papri chaat, and sev puri.
There are common elements among these variants including dahi, or yogurt; chopped onions and coriander; Sev (thin dried yellow salty noodles); and chaat masala, typically consisting of amchoor (dried mango powder), cumin, Kala Namak (rock salt), coriander, dried ginger, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. The ingredients are combined and served on a small metal plate or a banana leaf, dried and formed into a bowl.
Types of chaat
- Aloo chaat - Potatoes (aloo in Hindi) cut into small pieces, fried till crisp and served with chutney
- Aloo tikki
- Bedmi - Puri stuffed with dal and fried till crisp. Typically served with aloo sabji and eaten for breakfast
- Bhalla/aloo tikki
- Ragda Patties (Aloo Tikki Chaat)
- Cheela- Besan pancakes served with chutney and Sooth_(chutney) (sweet chutney)
- Dahi puri
- Dahi vada
- Kachori- or Kachauri, with variants such as Khasta Kachuari
- Mangode - Similar to pakora, but besan paste is replaced with yellow moong paste
- Pakora - Different things such as paneer, vegetable dipped in besan (chickpea/gram flour) paste and fried.
- Panipuri/gol gappa
- Chana chaat
- Papri chaat - This contains fried patty called papri as an extra ingredient.
- Samosa chaat - samosa is broken into pieces with green and sweet chutney added to it.
- Pav bhaji
- Pav vada
- Dahi bhallay ki chaat (bhallay, potatoes, chickpeas, imli chutney, chaat masala, onions, tomatoes, curd (Dahi) etc.)
- Beetroot & potato chaat
- Paneer chaat puri
Chaat Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.