Comerío, Puerto Rico facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Comerío, Puerto Rico
"La Perla de Plata", "Pueblo de los Guabaleros"
|Anthem: "Con alma henchida de amor y ensueño"|
Location of Comerío in Puerto Rico
|Founded||June 12, 1826|
|• Total||28.24 sq mi (73.13 km2)|
|• Land||28 sq mi (73 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (.13 km2)|
|• Density||735.88/sq mi (284.124/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (AST)|
|Area code||+1 (spec. +1-787 and +1-939)|
Comerío is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the center-eastern region of island, north of Aibonito; south of Naranjito and Bayamón; east of Barranquitas; and west of Cidra and Aguas Buenas. Comerío is spread over 7 wards and Comerío Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Comerío was founded on June 12, 1826. Originally named "Sabana del Palmar", but later changed to Comerío, named after a local Indian chief Comerio.
Rivers are: Río Arroyata, Río de la Plata and Río Hondo.
- Cedrito "La Prieta"
- Comerío Pueblo
- Doña Elena
- Río Hondo
- Vega Redonda
Landmarks and places of interest
- La Tiza Peak
- La Mora Caves
- La Plata River
- Las Pailas
- Los Pilones
- Media Luna Recreation Park
- Tobacco Warehouse
- Town Square
- El Salto Hydroelectric Dams 1 and 2
Festivals and events
- Spring Carnival - April
- La Mora Cave Festival - June 1,2,3
- Jíbaro Festival - June
- El Jobo Festival - July
- Patron Festivities - August
- San Andrés Apóstol Festivities - November
- El Seco Marathon - December
- Christmas Fantasy - December
First Methodist Church of Comerío was founded in 1904.
Quartered in cross, of green and white, and superimposed the right superior quarter is an anchored yellow cross.
Coat of Arms
Public bus from Bayamon to Comerio at Centro de Estacionamiento de Bayamon is the main public transportation for tourist but is recommended to travel by rental.
Notable "Comerieños "
- Celestino J. Pérez - Pharmacist, lawyer and elected legislator
- Claudio Torres - Composer
- Juana Colón (1886–1967) - Founder of the Socialist Party in Comerío
- Manuel A. Pérez (1890–1951) - Professor
- María Arroyo - Teacher, President of the Teachers Association and Senator
- Enrique Pérez Santiago - secretary of health
- Arturo Perez, Mayor of Comerio elected by Partido Liberal. Cousin of Celestino Perez, Manuel A. Perez.
Comerío, Puerto Rico Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.