Good Burger facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsGood Burger
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Brian Robbins|
|Music by||Stewart Copeland|
|Editing by||Anita Brandt-Burgoyne|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Release date(s)||July 25, 1997|
|Running time||95 minutes|
|Money made||$23.7 million|
Good Burger is a 1997 American comedy film directed by Brian Robbins and written by Dan Schneider, Kevin Kopelow, and Heath Seifert. Starring Kel Mitchell and Kenan Thompson, it is based on the comedy sketch of the same name on the Nickelodeon series All That. Produced by Nickelodeon Movies and Tollin/Robbins Productions, it was released worldwide on July 25, 1997, by Paramount Pictures. It grossed $23.7 million against a budget of $8.5 million.
On the first day of summer, the reckless slacker Dexter Reed starts his vacation from High School to take his mother's car on a joyride while she is away on a business trip but is involved in a car accident with his teacher, Mr. Wheat. With no driver's license, finances, or car insurance, Dexter is in danger of going to jail, but fortunately, Mr. Wheat agrees to let him pay for the damage in exchange for not calling the police on him. With the damage estimated at $1,900, Dexter forces himself to take a summer job. After being fired from the new and soon-to-open Mondo Burger restaurant for testing the patience of the owner and manager, Kurt Bozwell, he ends up drowning away his sorrows with milkshakes at Good Burger. Dexter is on the edge of giving up, until he meets and reluctantly befriends the simple and absent-minded, but yet charming and lovable surfer-dude named Ed who is the multi-tasking cashier, after Ed agrees to get Dexter hired as a new employee by the owner and manager Mr. Baily, Ed also introduces Dexter to the rest of the colorful Good Burger employees. Initially, neither of them are aware that Ed inadvertently caused Dexter's car accident. Ed had roller-bladed in front of Dexter on his way to make a delivery, causing him to swerve and crash into Mr. Wheat's car.
The survival of the smaller Good Burger is threatened by the grand opening of Mondo Burger, with its newly built burger chain that serves burgers of unusual size. Luckily, Good Burger is saved by a new secret sauce created by Ed. Before Ed's fortunate miracle occurred, Dexter realized that Ed caused his car accident, ruined vacation, and learning from Mr. Wheat that the damages exceed the original $1,900 estimate, he takes advantage of Ed's gullibility to extort money from him so that he can pay off his debt sooner. Ed promptly signs a contract that gives Dexter 80% of his profits. Dexter then tells Ed not to tell the sauce recipe to anyone or else Good Burger will be back in trouble, especially getting the sauce recipe ripped-off by Mondo Burger.
Ed's sauce vastly increases Good Burger's sales but draws the attention of Kurt, who of course wants it for Mondo Burger. After failing to lure Ed there at a higher wage, Kurt sends Roxanne, an attractive female employee, to seduce him into revealing the sauce recipe. As a result, she is repeatedly injured by his rough and clumsy antics and ultimately quits her job.
The next day, some employees at Good Burger have discovered Dexter's seedy money sabotage on Ed after finding the contract that fell out of the pocket of his jacket, Monique out of all employees was the first to out Dexter. Because of this, Dexter went outside where Ed was having his lunch break so he can confess and apologize for his unethical behavior, all of a sudden a hungry dog came by just to talk to Ed and eat his food, the dog refuses to eat a discarded Mondo Burger in favor of a discarded Good Burger, Ed and Dexter become suspicious and decide to investigate. They infiltrate Mondo Burger's kitchen and discover that their burgers are artificially enhanced with Triampathol, an illegal food chemical. Kurt discovers them and calls an acquaintance named Wade, who has them committed to an asylum called Demented Hills so that they can't bring to light their misdeeds.
Afterward, Kurt and his henchmen break into Good Burger, find Ed's secret sauce, and begin tainting it with shark poison. Otis, an elderly employee who was sleeping on the premises, catches them red-handed causing Kurt to commit him to Demented Hills as well. After he informs Ed and Dexter about Kurt's scheme, they escape from Demented Hills and hijack an ice cream truck to head back to Good Burger, arriving just in time to prevent anyone from eating the poisoned sauce.
Ed and Dexter then break into Mondo Burger to expose their chemically-altered burgers to the police. While Dexter creates a distraction, Ed tries to take a can of Triampathol but clumsily knocks another one into the meat grinder. Inspired, he pours another into the grinder. As Kurt corners Dexter on the roof, Ed suddenly arrives with an empty can. Kurt mocks Ed's presumed foolishness, whereupon he snidely comments to Dexter that it wasn't empty when he found it. Chaos then ensues in Mondo Burger, as the burgers begin to explode due to the overuse of Triampathol. A large artificial burger falls from the roof and smashes Mr. Wheat's newly-repaired car.
In the aftermath, Mondo Burger is shut down and Kurt is arrested for using the illegal Triampathol and contaminating Good Burger’s sauce. Dexter tears up the contract with Ed and tells him that he gets to keep all the profits from his sauce. They head back to Good Burger, where their coworkers give them a hero's welcome for saving the restaurant.
- Kel Mitchell as Ed, the kindhearted and simple minded teen cashier of Good Burger.
- Kenan Thompson as Dexter Reed, a 16-year-old high school student who desires to slack off during his summer vacation. He has to take a summer job working in Good Burger to pay for his teacher Mr. Wheat's car repair and his mother's car.
- Abe Vigoda as Otis, an elderly Good Burger employee who works as the fryer and also gets caught up in some of Ed and Dexter's adventures.
- Jan Schweiterman as Kurt Bozwell, the main antagonist; the owner of Mondo Burger who will stop at nothing to make his food chain the #1 restaurant in the world.
- Sinbad as Mr. Wheat, Dexter's teacher who demands money from him for car damage
- Shar Jackson as Monique, a Good Burger employee who becomes Dexter's girlfriend, but gets mad at him for cheating Ed out of his money.
- Dan Schneider as Mr. Baily, the owner, and manager of Good Burger who is usually annoyed by Ed's antics.
- Ron Lester as Spatch, the head fry cook of Good Burger.
- Josh Server as Fizz, the drive-thru employee of Good Burger.
- Ginny Schreiber as Deedee, a female employee at Good Burger who is a vegetarian.
- Linda Cardellini as Heather, an insane girl confined in Demented Hills who has a crush on Ed.
- Shaquille O'Neal as Himself
- George Clinton as Dancing Crazy, a Demented Hills patient.
- Robert Wuhl as an angry customer.
- Carmen Electra as Roxanne, a henchwoman of Kurt who unsuccessfully attempts to seduce Ed into telling his secret sauce recipe.
- Marques Houston as Jake, Dexter's schoolmate.
- J. August Richards as Griffin, one of Kurt's henchmen.
- Hamilton Von Watts as Troy, Kurt's other henchman.
- Floyd Levine as the Ice Cream Man.
- Lori Beth Denberg as Connie Muldoon, a customer whose extremely complex orders are too difficult for Ed to memorize.
A soundtrack containing hip hop, R&B, funk and punk rock was released on July 15, 1997 by Capitol Records. It peaked at 101 on the Billboard 200 and 65 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums. It features the single "All I Want" by 702, which reached number thirty-five on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- 1997: Joseph Locke: Good Burger: A Novelization, Pocket Books, ISBN: 978-0671016920
Good Burger Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.