Lake Mary, Florida facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Lake Mary, Florida
|• City||9.88 sq mi (25.58 km2)|
|• Land||9.07 sq mi (23.50 km2)|
|• Water||0.80 sq mi (2.07 km2)|
|Elevation||62 ft (18.9 m)|
|• Density||1,851.02/sq mi (714.69/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||407, 689|
|GNIS feature ID||0285263|
Lake Mary is a suburban city that is located in the Greater Orlando metropolitan area in Seminole County, Florida, United States, and is located in Central Florida. The population was 13,822 at the 2010 census.
Rated by Money magazine as the #4 best place to live in America in the August 2007 issue.
Lake Mary is located at(28.757622, -81.329038).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.7 square miles (25 km2), of which 8.6 square miles (22 km2) is land and 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) (10.96%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Lake Mary is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area, and is approximately 19 miles from Orlando, Florida.
As of the 2000 census, there were 11,458 people, 4,199 households, and 3,271 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,330.8 inhabitants per square mile (513.8/km2). There were 4,351 housing units at an average density of 505.4 per square mile (195.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 89.33% White, 3.60% African American, 0.24% Native American, 3.83% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.47% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.22% of the population.
There were 4,199 households, out of which 38.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.1% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 26.7% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 31.9% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $83,921, and the median income for a family was $96,983. Males had a median income of $57,132 versus $32,439 for females. The per capita income for the city was $31,094. 2.9% of the population and 2.5% of families were below the poverty line. 1.8% of those under the age of 18 and 3.6% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
Seminole County Public Schools operates Lake Mary's public schools.
There are 7 public schools, 5 private schools, 1 State college (Seminole State College of Florida), and 1 library in the greater Lake Mary area.
- Heathrow Elementary School
- Crystal Lake Elementary School
- Lake Mary Elementary School
- Markham Woods Middle School
- Greenwood Lakes Middle School
- Lake Mary High School
- Lee Corso, sports broadcaster and football analyst for ESPN
- Chris DiMarco, professional golfer in PGA
- Gigi Fernández, professional Puerto Rican tennis player who has played at Wimbledon, Olympics and the U.S. Open
- Rowdy Gaines, Olympic gold medal winner and NBC swimming analyst
- Jesse Palmer, University of Florida quarterback, New York Giants quarterback, The Bachelor TV show contestant
- Keith Rivers, All-American linebacker for USC Trojans, 2004–2007; linebacker for the Giants in the NFL
- Toni Tennille, Grammy Award winner, singer, songwriter, author
- Stan Van Gundy, head coach of Orlando Magic (2007–2012), Detroit Pistons
- Rickie Weeks, professional baseball player for Milwaukee Brewers
Lake Mary, Florida Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.