Larned, Kansas facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Business District (2009)
|Named for||Fort Larned|
|• Total||2.41 sq mi (6.24 km2)|
|• Land||2.41 sq mi (6.24 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||2,005 ft (611 m)|
|• Density||1,564/sq mi (604.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Larned was laid out in 1873. The first post office was established at Larned in 1872.
Larned is located at United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.39 square miles (6.19 km2), all land.(38.182109, -99.101696). According to the
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Larned has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,054 people, 1,824 households, and 1,027 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,696.2 inhabitants per square mile (654.9/km2). There were 2,130 housing units at an average density of 891.2 per square mile (344.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 92.2% White, 2.7% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.4% from other races, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.0% of the population.
There were 1,824 households, of which 27.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.1% were married couples living together, 10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 43.7% were non-families. 39.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 18.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.89.
The median age in the city was 42.7 years. 23.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.9% were from 25 to 44; 27.9% were from 45 to 64; and 19.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.0% male and 52.0% female.
The community is served by Fort Larned USD 495 public school district.
- Belle Jennings Benchley, "the Zoo lady", former director of the San Diego Zoo
- Gene Keady, current Big Ten sportscaster, former head coach for the Purdue Boilermakers men's basketball team
- Hal Patterson, former professional football player and member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame
- Glee S. Smith, Jr., former Kansas state legislator and lawyer
- Ralph Terry, retired New York Yankees pitcher, 2× All-Star (1961, 1962), 2× World Series champion (1961, 1962), World Series MVP (1962), AL wins leader (1962), former professional golfer in retirement
- Mitch Webster, retired Major League Baseball outfielder
- John Zook, former football player, all-state, all Big 8 (University of Kansas), and all-pro NFL player
Larned, Kansas Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.