Lego Disney Princess facts for kids
|Licensed from||Walt Disney Pictures|
|Total sets||102 (including promotional sets)|
|Characters||Ariel, Aladdin, Alana, Anna, Aurora, Beast, Belle, Cassandra, Prince Charming, Cinderella, Cogsworth, Daisy Duck, Donald Duck, Elsa, Prince Eric, Fairy Godmother, Fifi, Flynn Rider, Jasmine, Kristoff, Lumiere, Maleficent, Merida, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Moana, Maui, Mulan, Merryweather, Olaf, Mrs. Potts, Rapunzel, Stove, Snowgie, Tiana, Tinker Bell, Ursula and Wardrobe|
Lego Disney Princess (also known as Lego Disney) is a Lego theme that centers around the various Disney Princesses involved in different Disney films. It is licensed from Walt Disney Pictures. The theme was first introduced in 2014.
The main focuses of the line is the fictional female protagonists who have appeared in various Disney franchises.
The Little Mermaid
- Princess Ariel: The 16-year-old mermaid princess of Atlantica who is fascinated with humans, especially Prince Eric.
- Prince Eric: A human prince saved by Ariel and is determined to find and marry her.
- Ursula: a sea witch who stole Ariel's voice and is determined to ruin her attempts to get Eric to love her.
Beauty and the Beast
- Belle: A bibliophilic young woman who seeks adventure, and offers her own freedom to the Beast in return for her father's. In their effort to enhance the character from the original story, the filmmakers felt that Belle should be "unaware" of her own beauty and made her "a little odd".
- Beast: A young prince who is transformed into a talking beast by an enchantress as punishment for his arrogance. The animators drew him with the head structure and horns of an American bison, the arms and body of a bear, the ears of a deer, the eyebrows of a gorilla, the jaws, teeth, and mane of a lion, the tusks of a wild boar, and the legs and tail of a wolf.
- Cogsworth: Majordomo, the head of the household staff and Lumière's best friend, who has been transformed into a pendulum clock. He is extremely loyal to the Beast so as to save himself and anyone else any trouble, often leading to friction between himself and Lumière.
- Lumière: The kind-hearted but rebellious French-accented maître d’ of the Beast's castle, who has been transformed into a candelabra. He has a habit of disobeying his master's strict rules, sometimes causing tension between them, but the Beast often turns to him for advice. He is depicted as flirtatious, as he is frequently seen with the Featherduster and immediately takes a liking to Belle. A running gag throughout the movie is Lumière burning Cogsworth.
- Mrs. Potts: The castle cook, turned into a teapot, who takes a motherly attitude toward Belle. The filmmakers went through several names for Mrs. Potts, such as "Mrs. Chamomile", before Ashman suggested the use of simple and concise names for the household objects.
- Aladdin: A poverty-stricken but well-meaning Agrabah thief.
- Jasmine: The princess of Agrabah, who is bored of life in the royal palace.
- Fa Mulan: A young female who is willing to give up her life to save her father. She enters the army as a man named Ping. She faces the worst enemy China's ever seen, the Hun leader Shan-Yu, who has an army willing to destroy anything in their path. She succeeds in fighting them and saves all of China single-handedly without any help whatsoever. The Emperor of China awards her for her effort and the whole of China celebrate her return.
The Princess and the Frog
- Tiana: An African-American 19-year-old waitress and aspiring chef/restaurateur. She is a smart, hard-working, and independent young woman, but one who works so hard that she often forgets important things such as love, fun, and family.
- Rapunzel : Born with long hair as the result of the power of the sun drop, was kidnapped by Mother Gothel so she could use the power of Rapunzel's hair. Rapunzel eventually escapes with Flynn Rider and goes on an adventure that changes her life. Always optimistic and searching for the brighter side of things, Rapunzel does all she can to help her friends and family by showing that nothing can keep her down.
- Flynn Rider: Born Horace and better known as Flynn Rider, was abandoned by his father in order to protect him. Flynn grew up as a cocky thief. His luck changed when he found himself unwillingly rescuing Rapunzel from a tall tower. Since then, he has fallen in love with her and has changed his ways to be by her side by protecting her at all costs until he eventually weds her.
- Merida: A 16 year old girl who has been forced to be betrothed to strengthen the bond of a kingdom.
- Anna: The 18-year-old Princess of Arendelle and Elsa's younger sister.
- Elsa: The 21-year-old Queen of Arendelle who possesses magical ice powers and Anna's elder sister.
- Olaf: A sentient comic-relief snowman that Elsa and Anna created as children, who dreams of experiencing summer.
- Kristoff: An iceman who is accompanied by a reindeer named Sven.
- Mattias: The leader of a group of Arendelle soldiers who were trapped in the enchanted forest for over thirty years.
- Moana: The curious daughter of village chief Tui and his wife Sina, who is chosen by the ocean to restore the heart of Te Fiti
- Maui: A legendary strong-willed yet easily annoyed shapeshifting demigod who sets off with Moana on her journey.
Raya and the Last Dragon
- Raya: The fierce and courageous warrior princess of Kumandra's Heart Land who has been training to become a Guardian of the Dragon Gem. To restore peace to Kumandra, she embarks in search for the last dragon.
- Sisu: A goofy young water dragon who is the last of her kind in existence.
- Boun: A charismatic 10-year-old entrepreneur and owner of the "Shrimporium", a boat restaurant in the Tail Land.
- Namaari: The warrior princess of the Fang Land and Raya's enemy.
- Tuk Tuk: Raya's best friend and trusty steed that is a mix of an armadillo and a pill bug.
In 2014, Lego Group partnered with Disney. The first sets were released on 2 January 2014 based on several Disney films, with six sets being released. The largest of the sets was Cinderella's Romantic Castle (set number: 41055) which included 646 pieces and two minifigures. In addition, the first polybag Rapunzel's Market Visit (set number: 30116) was released as a promotion. Each of the Disney Princess minidoll figures, which are about the same size as a traditional minifigure, but are more detailed and realistic, like the minidolls in the Lego Friends theme. The sets were designed primarily for girls aged 5 to 12.
In 2015, the second wave of sets were released on 1 January 2015. The largest of these sets was Ariel's Undersea Palace (set number: 41063) which included 379 pieces and two minifigures.
In 2016, the Disney Castle (set number: 71040) was released on 6 October 2016. A polybag named Olaf's Summertime Fun (set number: 30397) was released as a promotion.
In 2017, six sets were released, which included Cinderella's Kitchen (set number: 30551). Later, another two sets were released in November based on the Moana film.
In 2018, nine sets were released. These included Ariel's Underwater Symphony (set number: 30552).
In 2019, six sets were released, including Disney Train and Station (set number: 71044) released on 7 September 2019. In October, sets were released based on the Frozen II film which also included Elsa's Winter Throne (set number: 30553) and Olaf's Traveling Sleigh (set number: 40361). Additional sets were released as a sub-brand of the Lego Brickheadz theme and Duplo theme. These included three key chains with attached minidoll figures of Anna, Elsa and Olaf.
In 2020, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse (set number: 43179) was released on 3 July 2020.
In 2021, it was announced that Disney Mickey Mouse (set number: 31202) would be released on 2 January 2021 as a sub-brand of the Lego Art theme.
Frozen Northern Lights (2016)
In June 2016, Disney announced a franchise extension called Frozen Northern Lights. This brand extension including animated shorts, book series and a TV special, plus potential characterized toys courtesy of LEGO Friends.
The extension's book series launched the extension on July 5, 2016 with its first book, Journey to the Lights, published by Random House by author Suzanne Francis and is 224 pages in length. The ten books in the series will be released by the end of 2017. The film's main characters attempt to restore the Northern Lights' glimmer and face Little Rock, the series' new protagonist.
- Race to Lookout Mountain (a.k.a. Race to Lookout Point)
- Out of the Storm
- The Great Glacier
- Restoring the Northern Lights
They later aired as a whole on December 9, 2016. Titled LEGO Frozen Northern Lights (also known as Frozen: Magic of the Northern Lights in the UK and Lego Frozen Northern Nights elsewhere), the shorts were compiled as a special and featured the returning voice talents of Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff, and Josh Gad. The special received 2.01 million viewers and ranked fifth for the night on cable.
Lego Disney Princess Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.