Limit (mathematics) facts for kids
In mathematics, a limit is a guess of the value of a function or sequence based on the points around it. Limits are used to define many topics in calculus, like continuity, derivatives, and integrals.
Limit are written like this:
and read as "the limit of f of x, as x approaches c". Limit is shortened to lim.
- Limit of a sequence
- Rate of convergence: the rate at which a convergent sequence approaches its limit
- Cauchy sequence
- complete metric space
- Limit of a function
- One-sided limit: a real variable x has two limits, as x approaches a point from above or below. This refers to one of those limits.
- List of limits: list of limits for common functions
- Squeeze theorem: finds a limit of a function by comparing it with that of two other functions.
- Banach limit defined on the Banach space that extends the usual limits.
- Limit in category theory
- Direct limit
- Inverse limit
- Asymptotic analysis: a method of describing limiting behavior
- Big O notation: used to describe the limiting behavior of a function when the argument tends towards a particular value or infinity
- Convergent matrix
Limit (mathematics) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.