Medina, Minnesota facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Medina
within Hennepin County, Minnesota
|Named for||Medina, Saudi Arabia|
|Seat||Medina City Hall|
|• City||27.13 sq mi (70.26 km2)|
|• Land||25.55 sq mi (66.18 km2)|
|• Water||1.58 sq mi (4.08 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||262.69/sq mi (101.43/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central)|
55340, 55357, 55359, 55391
|GNIS feature ID||1690854|
|Website||City of Medina|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 27.00 square miles (69.93 km2), of which 25.45 square miles (65.92 km2) is land and 1.55 square miles (4.01 km2) is water. Minnesota State Highway 55 serves as a main route. Other routes include County Roads 19 and 24.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,892 people, 1,702 households, and 1,386 families living in the city. The population density was 192.2 inhabitants per square mile (74.2/km2). There were 1,780 housing units at an average density of 69.9 per square mile (27.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.0% White, 1.0% African American, 0.1% Native American, 3.2% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.
There were 1,702 households, of which 42.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.4% were married couples living together, 4.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 18.6% were non-families. 15.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.87 and the average family size was 3.23.
The median age in the city was 43.3 years. 30.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 4.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 18% were from 25 to 44; 34.4% were from 45 to 64; and 12.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.8% male and 50.2% female.
Medina is covered by four school districts:
- Brian Burke – former National Hockey League general manager and executive
- Caden Clark – professional soccer player for New York Red Bulls
- Steve Hutchinson – retired, all-pro guard for the Minnesota Vikings
- Corey Koskie – retired, former Major League Baseball third baseman
- Greg LeMond – former Cycling World Champion and three-time Tour de France winning bicycle racer. LeMond is the only American to ever win the Tour de France.
- John Randle – retired, Hall of Fame NFL player
- Flip Saunders – former NBA basketball head coach, and former President of Basketball Operations
- Ryan Saunders - NBA head coach for the Minnesota Timberwolves
- Carlos Silva – professional Major League Baseball pitcher
- Karen Philipp - American singer and actress
- Karl-Anthony Towns - Player for the Minnesota Timberwolves
Medina, Minnesota Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.