Mel Gibson facts for kids
Mel Colm-Cille Gerard Gibson
January 3, 1956
Peekskill, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, movie director, producer, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Robyn Moore Gibson
|Parent(s)||Hutton Gibson (dead)
(née Reilly, dead)
Mel Colm-Cille Gerard Gibson, AO (born January 3, 1956) is an Australian and American actor and movie maker. He is mostly known for his roles in action movies. Some of his most famous roles are in Mad Max (1979), Gallipoli (1981), The Bounty (1984), Lethal Weapon (1987), and Braveheart (1995). He directed The Passion of the Christ in 2004. He loosely based it on the visions of St. Catherine Emmerich.
Gibson was born in Peekskill, New York, United States. His father, Hutton Gibson, was a veteran soldier during World War II and was also a famous writer. His family moved to Australia in 1968, when he was 12. He studied acting at the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney. He also has Irish citizenship.
Awards and accomplishments
- Australian Film Institute Awards: Best Actor in a Lead Role, for Tim (1979) and Gallipoli (1981)
- Academy Award: Best Picture, for Braveheart (1995)
- Academy Award: Best Director, for Braveheart (1995)
- People's Choice Awards: Favorite Motion Picture Actor (1991, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2004)
- People's Choice Awards: Favorite Motion Picture Star in a Comedy (2001)
- ShoWest Award: Male Star of the Year (1993)
- ShoWest Award: Director of the Year (1996)
- American Cinematheque Gala Tribute: American Cinematheque Award (1995)
- Hasty Pudding Theatricals: Man of the Year (1997)
- Australian Film Institute Awards: Global Achievement Award (2002)
- Honorary Doctorate Recipient and Undergraduate Commencement Speaker, Loyola Marymount University (2003)
- World's most powerful celebrity by US business magazine Forbes (2004)
- Hollywood Reporter Innovator of the Year (2004)
- Honorary fellowship in Performing Arts by Limkokwing University (2007)
- Outstanding Contribution to World Cinema Award at the Irish Film and Television Awards (2008)
- Gibson, Mel at the Open Directory Project
Images for kids
Mel Gibson Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.