Michael Moore facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Moore in New York to promote his memoir Here Comes Trouble, September 2011
Michael Francis Moore
April 23, 1954
Flint, Michigan, US
|Alma mater||University of Michigan–Flint|
|Occupation||Actor, director, screenwriter, producer, documentarian|
|Spouse(s)||Kathleen Glynn (1991–2014)|
Michael Francis Moore (born April 23, 1954 in Davison, Michigan, USA) is an American writer and moviemaker. He is known for his strong liberal political views. He often expresses them using humor and satire. His work includes Roger & Me, Fahrenheit 9/11, Sicko, and Bowling for Columbine, and the satire show TV Nation. He has also written books including Dude, Where's My Country? and Will They Ever Trust Us Again?.
Until 1972, Moore went to Davison High School. When he was 18, he was elected to the Davison School Board. There he met Kathleen Glynn.
His job as a journalist
At the age of 22, Moore left school. He started an alternative magazine called The Flint Voice. He was the editor of the magazine for ten years. After that, Moore was hired as managing editor of the magazine Mother Jones in San Francisco. After five months, he left the editorial staff because of a dispute. After that he went back to Flint, Michigan.
Moore has been a strong critic against Presidents Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush. He supported Ralph Nader in the 2000 presidential election, and Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton in the 2008 presidential election. In December 2015, Moore announced his support for Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders in the upcoming 2016 United States presidential election. Moore has stated that Sanders is a "candidate not to be messed with" and showed his support for Sanders' debate performances.
Movies by Moore
- Roger & Me (1989)
- Pets or Meat: The Return to Flint (1992) (TV movie)
- Canadian Bacon (1995)
- The Big One (1997)
- And Justice for All (1998) (TV movie)
- Bowling for Columbine (2002)
- Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
- Sicko (2007)
- Captain Mike Across America (2007)
- Slacker Uprising (2008)
- Capitalism: A Love Story (2009)
- Fahrenheit 11/9 (2018)
Books by Moore
- Downsize This! Random Threats from an Unarmed American (1997)
- Adventures in a TV Nation: The Stories Behind America's Most Outrageous TV Show (with Kathleen Glynn) (1998)
- Dude, Where's My Country? (2003)
- Stupid White Men... and Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation (2004)
- The Official Fahrenheit 9/11 Reader (2004)
- Will They Ever Trust Us Again? Letters from the War Zone (2004)
- Mike's Election Guide 2008 (2008)
- Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life (2012) (a memoir)
Images for kids
Michael Moore Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.