North Ward, Queensland facts for kids
|LGA:||City of Townsville|
North Ward is home to the beachside area known as The Strand, which overlooks Magnetic Island. The land is mostly flat at close to sea level except for Stanton Hill in the south of the locality ( ) which rises to 60 metres. Kissing Point is a headland at the most northerly part of North Ward.
North Ward is among Townsville's oldest suburbs, dating to the 1870s.
North Ward has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- 24 Cleveland Terrace: Selhurst (house)
- 24 Eyre Street: Second Townsville General Hospital
- Fryer Street: St Josephs Church
- 11 Fryer Street: Yongala Lodge
- 38-40 Howitt Street: Kissing Point Fortification
- 4-6 Oxley Street: former North Ward Defence Complex
- Paxton Street: Queens Gardens
- Paxton Street: School House, Townsville Grammar School
- Stanton Hill: Townsville Astronomical Trigonometrical Station
- 45 The Strand: St Patrick's Convent
- 11 Victoria Street: Kardinia
- 4-6 Warburton Street: Townsville Central State School
Amenities in North Ward
- The Strand Foreshore and Park.
- Queens Gardens Botanical Gardens, Townsville
- Townsville Sports Reserve
- Tobruk Memorial Baths
- St Patrick's College, Townsville
- Townsville Central State School
- Townsville Grammar School
- St Joseph's The Strand Catholic Primary School
North Ward, Queensland Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.