|Area (rank)||6,338.82 km² (24th)|
|- % water||0.7%|
|Population (Oct 1, 2005)|
|- Population||1,209,587 (34th)|
|- Density||191 /km²|
|- Flower||Bungo-ume blossom (Prunus mume var. bungo)|
|- Tree||Bungo-ume tree (Prunus mume var. bungo)|
|- Bird||Japanese white-eye (Zosterops japonica)|
Symbol of Ōita Prefecture
- 1184 (Juei 3): Usa Shrine was destroyed by fire in Gempei War.
- November 19, 1274 (Bun'ei 11, 20th day of the 10th month): Battle of Bun'ei
- August 15, 1281 (Kōan 4, 30th day of the 7th month): Battle of Kōan
- 2002 (Heisei 15): FIFA World Cup in Ōita
Ōita Prefecture is on the north-eastern section of the island of Kyūshū.
Ōita is faces the Suo Channel and Honshū Island to the north. The prefecture looks towards the Iyo Channel and Shikoku Island to the east. It is bordered by Miyazaki Prefecture to the south. Fukuoka Prefecture and Kumamoto Prefecture are to the west.
Towns and villages
- Hayami District:
- Higashikunisaki District:
- Kusu District:
National Parks are established in about 28% of the total land area of the prefecture.
Shrines and Temples
Fukiji Temple has the oldest wooden structure in Kyushu.
The Usuki Buddhas include 60+ cliff carvings from Heian period.
- Provinces of Japan
- Prefectures of Japan
- List of regions of Japan
- List of islands of Japan
- Oita Trinita
Images for kids
Ōita Prefecture Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.