Pope Pius II facts for kids
|Papacy began||19 August 1458|
|Papacy ended||14 August 1464|
|Predecessor||Pope Callixtus III|
|Successor||Pope Paul II|
|Birth name||Enea Silvio Piccolomini|
|Born||October 18, 1405|
|Died||August 14, 1464(aged 58)|
|Other Popes named Pius|
Pope Pius II (Latin: Pius Secundus; 18 October 1405 – 14 August 1464), born Enea Silvio Piccolomini , was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 211th Pope from August 19, 1458 until his death in 1464.
He studied at the University of Siena.
He was ordained in 1446.
In 1456, Pope Calixtus III raised Bishop Piccolomini to the rank of cardinal.
Pope Pius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
According to Niccolò Machiavelli, "Pius showed himself mindful above all of the welfare of Christendom and of the honour of the Church, independent of any private passion or interest of his own."
St. Catherine of Siena was canonized during his reign.
- De miseria curialium (1485)
- Epistolæ in pontificatu editæ (1487)
- Aeneas Siluius in Europam (1490)
- Eneas siluius de remedio amoris Somniu fortune eiusdem (1490)
- Epistolae familiares (1492)
- Lystoire de Eurialus et Lucresse, vrays amoureux (1493)
- Commentarii rerum memorabilium quae temporibus suis contigerunt (1584)
Images for kids
Monument of Pius II located in Otočac, Croatia
Pope Pius II Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.