Russell Township, Geauga County, Ohio facts for kids
|Russell Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
Headquarters of ASM International
Location of Russell Township in Geauga County
|• Total||19.4 sq mi (50.2 km2)|
|• Land||19.2 sq mi (49.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,086 ft (331 m)|
|• Density||271/sq mi (104.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086160|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships and villages:
- Chester Township - north
- Munson Township - northeast corner
- Newbury Township - east
- Auburn Township - southeast corner
- Bainbridge Township - south
- Chagrin Falls - southwest, south of Chagrin Falls Township
- Chagrin Falls Township - southwest, north of Chagrin Falls
- Moreland Hills - west, south of Hunting Valley
- Hunting Valley - west, north of Moreland Hills
- Gates Mills - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Russell Township statewide. Another name for the area is Novelty, from the name of the post office located in the township. The origin of the name Novelty is obscure.
The first five inhabitants — Gideon Russell and his family, who came in 1818 — settled on what today is Chillicothe Road. In 1827 the township was named Russell, although it had been previously known as the West Woods by neighboring communities. In April of that year the people elected John Lowry, Clark Robinson, and Gideon Russell as their first township trustees. It was Robinson that created the first framed building and started the first store.
Major roads include State Route 306 and State Route 87.
Russell Township, Geauga County, Ohio Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.