Sullivan, New York facts for kids
- There is also a Sullivan County in New York.
Quick facts for kids
Sullivan, New York
Sullivan Free Library
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Total||73.35 sq mi (189.96 km2)|
|• Land||73.15 sq mi (189.45 km2)|
|• Water||0.20 sq mi (0.52 km2)|
|Elevation||410 ft (120 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||208.14/sq mi (80.36/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
13030, 13037 , 13082
|GNIS feature ID||0979535|
|Website||Town of Sullivan government site|
The Town of Sullivan is located in the northwestern corner of the county.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 73.6 square miles (190.5 km²), of which, 73.4 square miles (190.0 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (0.27%) is water.
The New York State Thruway (Interstate 90) passes across the town.
|U.S. Census Bureau|
At the 2010 census, there were 15,339 people, 6,114 households and 4,325 families residing in the town. The population density was 209.7 per square mile (80.97/km2). There were 6,723 housing units at an average density of 91.7 per square mile (35.5/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.2% White, 0.6% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.
There were 6,114 households, of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.5% were heterosexual married couples living together, 10.8% had a primary female householder, 5.1% had a primary male householder and 29.6% were non-families. 23.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.91.
24.6% of the population were under the age of 19, 4.9% from 20 to 24, 28% from 25 to 44, 32.3% from 45 to 64, and 15% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43.5 years. 49.2% identified as male, while 50.8 identified as female.
The median household income was $56,596 and the median family income was $64,101. People identifying as male had a median income of $40,906 and people identifying as female $31,115. In 2018, the per capita income was $32,971, about 8.6% of the population were below the poverty line.
Communities and locations in Sullivan
- Blakeslea – A hamlet in the southeast corner of the town.
- Bolivar – A hamlet northeast of Chittenango village.
- Bridgeport – A hamlet in the northwest of the town by the town line on NY-31 at the Chittenango Creek.
- Chittenango – The Village of Chittanango and the location of the town government is in the south part of the town.
- Chittenango Creek – A stream that forms the northwest boundary of the town.
- Chittenango Springs – A hamlet south of Chittanango village on Route 13.
- East Boston – A location near the east town line.
- Eaton Corners – A location south of Lakeport.
- Fyler Settlement – a hamlet in the northwest part of the town.
- Gees Corner – A location in the northeast part of the town.
- Lake Oneida Beach West – A lakeside hamlet on the shore of Oneida Lake.
- Lakeport – A hamlet on Oneida Lake and Route 31.
- Messenger Bay – A lakeside hamlet in the northeast corner of the town.
- North Chittenango – A hamlet south of the Thruway on Lakeport Road.
- Oneida Lake Beach West – A lakeside hamlet in the north part of the town. The Oneida Lake Congregational Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
- Peck Corner – A location in the northwest part of the town at Routes 1 and 4.
- Sullivan – A hamlet east of Chittenango village on Route 5 and 13.
- Weaver Corner – A location near Chittenango Creek in the northwest part of the town.
Luther Airport is located one nautical mile (1.85 km) east of the central business district of Chittenango.
- Augustus and John Allen, founders of Houston, Texas
Sullivan, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.