System facts for kids
System (Latin word is (systēma)) is a group of related things, that work with each other. These things can be real or imaginary. Systems can be real things, like a car's engine. But systems can also be things made by persons to organize ideas, groups, people, and anything else. A subsystem is a little system within a big system.
What systems do
Systems are a way to describe a set of items, or people, or things that are related, and most systems describe ways of making them work together, or why they work together already. Some systems are nothing more than a different way of looking at a problem, or thinking about a job being done.
Other systems are more like organizing books on a shelf, so that people can find things more simply, without having to search. These can be systems about how to program computers or manage people.
Types of systems
There are many kinds of systems. A system can refer to:
- Computer systems, like systems of counting or finding things
- Systems in planning, like deciding how a bridge should be made
- Systems in social science, like the way humans talk, think, and feel
- Systems in management and business, such as ideas about parts of companies
- Systems of life, such as life cycle, carbon cycle, ecosystem, or visual system
- Systems in science, such as the solar system
- Systems of symbols such as writing system or number system
System Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.