The Range, Queensland facts for kids
|Population||5,369 (2011 census)|
|Location||3 km (2 mi) W of Rockhampton|
|State electorate(s)||Rockhampton and Keppel|
The suburb is built on the Athelstane Range with Agnes Street approximating the ridge line.
The suburb takes its name from the Athelstane Range, which was named in turn for Mount Athelstane, the name of the house built by lands commissioner William Wiseman circa 1859. Rockhampton's first water storage was built on the top of Governor's Hill (part of Atheltstane Range) in 1875.
Rockhampton Grammar School was built in Agnes Street in 1883 and is the oldest school in Rockhampton.
At the 2006 census, The Range had a population of 5,731.
The Range has a number of heritage-listed properties, including:
- 155 Agnes Street: Rockhampton Girls Grammar School
- 248 Agnes Street: Rudd Residence
- 263 Agnes Street: The Range Convent and High School
- Archer Street: Rockhampton Grammar School
- Canning Street: Medical superintendent's residence, Rockhampton Base Hospital
- Canning Street: Therapies Building, Rockhampton Base Hospital
- 49 Jessie Street: Amla (house)
- 30 Nathan Street: Wiseman's Cottage
- Penlington Street: Rockhampton War Memorial
- 100 Spencer Street: Rockhampton Botanic Gardens
- 25 Ward Street: Clancholla
- 31 Ward Street: Kenmore House
- 74 Ward Street: Yungaba Migrant Hostel
- 86 Ward Street: Killowen
The Range, Queensland Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.