Yoho Ahoy facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsYoho Ahoy
|Created by||Mark Slater
|Written by||Stan Cullimore
|Directed by||Mole Hill|
|Narrated by||Tim Woodward (only on the audiobooks)|
|Opening theme||"Yoho Ahoy"|
|Ending theme||"Yoho Ahoy" (Instrumental)|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||39|
|Executive producer(s)||Theresa Plummer-Andrews|
|Running time||5 minutes per episode (approx.)|
|Production company(s)||The Consortium of Gentlemen
|Original release||7 January 2000– 20 August 2001|
Yoho Ahoy was a British animated children's television series about a group of distinct pirates, known as Yohos, who take residence on board their pirate ship, The Rubber Duck. The title of the show derives from the fact that the only words that the main characters say, depending on their feelings are "Yoho" and "Ahoy". The characters themselves are animated puppets. In 2001, the show itself won the Banff Television Festival Rockie Award: Best Animation for "Yoho Ahoy: Buzz with Jones". The show was first broadcast on CBBC and later on CBeebies in the United Kingdom, while in Canada, the programme aired on Knowledge Network.
- Bilge - The ship's dark blue captain. Bilge is very bossy and shouts a lot.
- Cutlass - The ship's yellow anchor hoister who is Grog's best friend.
- Swab - The ship's purple first mate who wears a circular ring on each ear.
- Poop - The ship's yellow lazy cabin cleaner who wears a blue yellow-spotted hat.
- Jones - The ship's green engineer who takes his job very seriously.
- Grog - The ship's green chef who wears a green yellow-spotted hat.
- Plank - The ship's yellow deck Scrubber who looks identical to Cutlass.
- Plunder - The ship's purple anchor hauler who looks identical to Swab.
- Booty - The ship's beige pianist who serves as Flamingo's owner.
- Flamingo - The only flamingo on board the ship who is Booty's pet. He enjoys causing mischief on board The Rubber Duck, often by taking things from the Yohos without them realising. Flamingo's way of communicating is by squawking.
- The Sun - Never seen. During the daytime, The Rubber Duck can be seen (at the beginning and end of most episodes) bobbing and floating on the surface of the open sea.
- Parrot - The only green and purple yellow-eyed parrot on board the ship, who only appears in episodes like Bell with Parrot and Drill with Parrot. Parrot often flies around the Rubber Duck, sometimes causing chaos in the process. Although Parrot is a minor character on Yoho Ahoy, he, at times squawks just like Flamingo. Just like all the Yohos, Parrot says the two following words: "Yoho" and "Ahoy".
- The Rats - The only pink and blue rats on board the ship who appear in most surprising places on board the Rubber Duck. With their squeaky communication, the rats, who are often followed around by Cat, cause nothing but trouble wherever they go.
- The Moon - A blue voiceless moon which appears at the beginning and end of some episodes, including Lullaby With Booty and Feast With Rats. At night, the moon can be seen shining in the dark sky next to The Rubber Duck, along with some purple clouds and shiny stars.
- Cat - The only male ginger cat on board the ship who often chases the rats around whenever he sees them. Just like all real cats, Cat's way of communicating is by mewing.
- Crow - The only crow on board the ship who is often seen on screen looking out for the Yohos, although he doesn't look like a real crow at all.
- Mole Hill as Bilge and Crow
- Simi Mougne as Cutlass
- Sarah Thornhill as Booty
- Shelly Wain as Swab and Plunder
- Julian Roberts as Poop, Parrot and Cat
- Joss Cope as Grog, Plank and the Rats
- Mark Slater as Jones and Flamingo
- Tim Woodward as The Narrator (audiobooks only)
Series 1 (2000)
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Mops with Poop"||7 January 2000|
|2||"Fish with Grog"||14 January 2000|
|3||"Flag with Bilge"||21 January 2000|
|4||"Boing with Jones"||28 January 2000|
|5||"Blow with Poop"||4 February 2000|
|6||"Fiddle with Swab"||11 February 2000|
|7||"Bullseye with Cutlass"||14 February 2000|
|8||"Pancake with Poop"||15 February 2000|
|9||"Puff with Jones"||16 February 2000|
|10||"Jug with Swab"||17 February 2000|
|11||"Cheese with Grog"||18 February 2000|
|12||"Sail with Jones"||21 February 2000|
|13||"Lost with Swab"||22 February 2000|
|14||"Feast with Rats"||23 February 2000|
|15||"Clonk with Flamingo"||24 February 2000|
|16||"Art with Crow"||25 February 2000|
|17||"Bell with Parrot"||28 February 2000|
|18||"Bowl with Bilge"||29 February 2000|
|19||"Drill with Parrot"||1 March 2000|
|20||"Flotsam with Plunder"||2 March 2000|
Series 2 (2001)
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|21||"Chairs with Grog"||19 February 2001|
|22||"Pop with Swab"||20 February 2001|
|23||"Lullaby with Booty"||21 February 2001|
|24||"Snore with Poop"||22 February 2001|
|25||"Bilge's Surprise"||23 February 2001|
|26||"Buzz with Jones"||26 February 2001|
|27||"Jig with Booty"||27 February 2001|
|28||"Paint with Booty"||28 February 2001|
|29||"Bone with Plunder"||6 August 2001|
|30||"Heave with Booty"||7 August 2001|
|31||"Sneeze with Rats"||8 August 2001|
|32||"Pest with Plank"||9 August 2001|
|33||"Peck with Flamingo"||10 August 2001|
|34||"Bed with Cat"||13 August 2001|
|35||"Beat with Cat"||14 August 2001|
|36||"Pass with Jones"||15 August 2001|
|37||"Snooze with Cat"||16 August 2001|
|38||"Hide with Crow"||17 August 2001|
|39||"Cake with Poop"||20 August 2001|
UK VHS and DVD Releases
|VHS/DVD title||Release date||Episodes|
|Yoho Ahoy: Welcome Aboard||2 October 2000||Mops with Poop, Fish with Grog, Flag with Bilge, Boing with Jones, Blow with Poop, Fiddle with Swab, Bullseye with Cutlass, Chairs with Grog, Pop with Swab, Lullaby with Booty|
In 2000, BBC Multimedia developed a video game based on the series. The game consists of a collection of seven mini-games.
Yoho Ahoy Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.