2024 Winter Youth Olympics facts for kids
|Host city||Gangwon, South Korea|
|Motto||Let's Make It Together (Korean: 같이합시다)|
|Stadium||SCJ Olympic Stadium|
The 2024 Winter Youth Olympics is officially known as the IV Winter Youth Olympic Games (French: Les IVème Jeux Olympiques de la jeunesse d'hiver; Korean: 제4회 동계 청소년 올림픽). The common name is Gangwon 2024. It will be the fourth edition of the Winter Youth Olympics. The Winter Youth Olympics is an international sports, education and cultural festival for teenagers. It will take place between 19 January and 2 February 2024 in Gangwon, South Korea. The host city was announced at the 135th IOC Session on 10 January 2020. The meeting is held at the SwissTech Convention Center in Lausanne, Switzerland. This was during the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics. This is the first Olympic event with the new bidding process. This will also be the first Winter Youth Olympic Games to be held outside of Europe.
Gangwon was the only preferred host. Other cities such as Brașov, Granada, and Sofia were interested to hold the competition but was not preferred. They held talks with IOC and the Future Host Commission. Gangwon was officially chosen during 135th IOC Session in Lausanne, Switzerland on 10 January 2020.
Host city selection
Pyeongchang (in Gangwon) was chosen as host of the 2024 Winter Youth Olympics. This was announced on 10 January 2020 at the 135th IOC Session in Lausanne, Switzerland. The city meets all of the requirements set by the IOC and Executive Board. 82 members were eligible to vote.
|2024 Youth Olympic Games bidding results|
|None of bid||2|
Development and preparation
Most of the venues of the 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics will be used again. Most of the outdoor snow events will be held in the county of Pyeongchang. Some indoor ice events will be held in the nearby city of Gangneung. Wonsan city in North Korea will also hold some events after discussions with North Korea. Wonsan can possibly host some of the alpine events.
Pyeongchang (mountain cluster)
The Alpensia Sports Park in Daegwallyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang will be the main venue of the games.
- Alpensia Ski Jumping Centre – ski jumping, Nordic combined, snowboarding (big air)
- SCJ Olympic Stadium- opening and closing ceremonies
- Alpensia Biathlon Centre – biathlon
- Alpensia Cross-Country Skiing Centre – cross-country skiing, Nordic combined
- Alpensia Sliding Centre – luge, bobsleigh
- Yongpyong Alpine Centre – alpine skiing (slalom, giant slalom)
There will be another outdoor venue at Bongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang:
- Phoenix Snow Park – freestyle skiing, snowboarding
One other venue for outdoor sports will be in neighboring Jeongseon county:
- High1 Resort – alpine skiing (downhill, super-G, combined)
Gangneung (coastal cluster)
Gangneung Olympic Park is located in the neighborhood of Gyo-dong. The neighbourhood is in Gangneung city. The park includes four indoor sports venues. All four venues are close to one another.
- Gangneung Hockey Centre – ice hockey
- Gangneung Curling Centre – curling
- Gangneung Oval – long track speed skating
- Gangneung Ice Arena – short track speed skating, figure skating
- 2024 Summer Olympics
- 2026 Winter Olympics
- 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul
- 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, Gangwon
|Winter Youth Olympic Games
|Youth Olympic Games|
|Summer Games: Singapore 2010, Nanjing 2014, Buenos Aires 2018, 2022|
|Winter Games: Innsbruck 2012, Lillehammer 2016, Lausanne 2020, 2024
|Buenos Aires 2018 — Lausanne 2020 — 2022
2024 Winter Youth Olympics Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.