Esotericism facts for kids
Esotericism is about secret knowledge for a small group of people. Esotericism also describes mystical, spiritual or occult viewpoints (point of view). Esotericism studies Gnosticism, Yoga, Alchemy, Magic, Spiritualism, Hypnosis, Astrology, Meditation, Mysticism, and Occultism. Many followers of Abrahamic faiths, particularly Christianity and Islam, have criticized Esotericism as black magic. Esotericism in religion is called "obscurantism".
Esotericism can also be about understanding symbolism and hidden meanings of many different books. They include religious books, philosophical books and books about history. They use these books as their texts.
- Knights Templar
- Guénon, René (2001) Insights Into Islamic Esoterism and Taoism
- Borella, Jean (2004) Guenonian Esoterism and Christian Mystery
- Bhattacharyya, Benoytosh (1980) An Introduction to Buddhist Esoterism
- Guénon, René (2005) Insights Into Christian Esoterism
- Schuon, Frithjof (2000) Survey Of Metaphysics And Esoterism World Wisdom Books, Incorporated
Images for kids
The Magician, a tarot card displaying the Hermetic concept of "as above, so below." Faivre connected this concept to 'correspondences', his first defining characteristic of esotericism
Sculpture of the Horned God of Wicca found in the Museum of Witchcraft in Boscastle, Cornwall