Immigration facts for kids
Immigration means people moving from their native regions into another country to live. People who immigrate are called immigrants. Some are illegal immigrants. Some immigrants are refugees and some ask for political asylum.
If someone were to immigrate to the United States, they would have to apply to become a legal citizen. If the person is accepted, they will receive a green card. A green card is a piece of evidence stating that the person is trying to legally stay within the country's borders. The person must keep the green card for at least five years in order to become a citizen of the United States of America. (USA-GOV pg. 1)
Reasons for immigration
As with other changes, people go to another place for several reasons:
- Pull: people immigrate seeking a better life. For example, in the new country, work is easier to find, quality of life is better, etc.
- Push: people leave a place where life has become bad. For example, there may be no work, a war, violence, high criminality rates or other problems.
- Personal reasons: people go to join their family, or marry and live with their partner.
- Religious reasons: people may choose to migrate because of religious problems. Other people may not agree with their beliefs or morals and it could leave them feeling persecuted.
- Resource reasons: The place the person is leaving in may be environmentally discomforting. There could be a lack of food and water sources. It could potentially be too cold/hot and the person may not have the correct resources to make them comfortable, such as a house, certain types of clothing, or stores to receive the items they need.
Difficulty of immigration
Immigration has always been difficult. When people immigrate, they leave behind their friends, families, and culture. They also have to sell what they have, like a house, farm, or anything else too big to bring. Immigrating is also difficult because of the strict Immigration laws and qualifications within each country. It is hard to become a legal citizen of a country. It takes time (about 5 years in the US) and a lot of patience to become legally apart of a country.
Learning different languages in order to feel comfortable in a country is also extremely difficult for some people They might not have the opportunity to go a to school and learn certain things. Not knowing or beginning to learn the language of a country the person immigrates to can be very uncomfortable at first. This is because communication is needed within our everyday lives, such as at work, in grocery stores, restaurants, and just everyday life.
Once immigrants arrive in the new countries, they can face many difficulties. They may have to get a job, find a house, and learn a new language. Immigrants can also be victims of racism.
- Migrant worker
- Human migration
- Political asylum
- Vienna Declaration
Images for kids
The Iron Curtain in Europe was designed as a means of preventing emigration. "It is one of the ironies of post-war European history that, once the freedom to travel for Europeans living under communist regimes, which had long been demanded by the West, was finally granted in 1989/90, travel was very soon afterwards made much more difficult by the West itself, and new barriers were erected to replace the Iron Curtain." —Anita Böcker
The Indo-Bangladeshi barrier in 2007. India is building a separation barrier along the 4,000 kilometer border with Bangladesh to prevent illegal immigration.
Immigration Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.