Koppio facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsKoppio
|LGA(s)||District Council of Tumby Bay|
Koppio is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located on the Eyre Peninsula about 256 kilometres (159 mi) west of the Adelaide city centre and about 32 kilometres (20 mi) north of Port Lincoln, and within the Tod River catchment area. While long-established agricultural activities dominate (including sheep, cattle and buffalo grazing and wheat cropping) the region is also prospective for graphite and iron ore. The Koppio Smithy Museum is a local tourist attraction replete with buildings and artifacts representing the early pioneer heritage of Eyre Peninsula.
Mining & mineral exploration
Companies actively exploring the area include Eyre Iron Pty Ltd (a joint venture of Centrex Metals Ltd) and Lincoln Minerals Ltd. Eyre Iron's proposed Fusion Magnetite Project is the most advanced prospective mine development project in the area. Graphite was first mined in the area in 1866. The Koppio Graphite Mine originally operated in the early 1900s and was revisited between 1941 and 1944.
Koppio Smithy Museum
The Koppio Smithy Museum is a 1.0 hectare (2.5 acres) allotment of the National Trust which features a collection of early colonial buildings and heritage artifacts collected from across Eyre Peninsula. The entrance is via the old Smithy's cottage, constructed by Tom Brennand after he migrated to the region from Lochiel in 1903. One of the museum's oddities is a replica World War I tank, which was abandoned in the sand dunes of Coffin Bay after its use in the feature film The Lighthorsemen. As of 2014, the museum is open to the public from 10am until 5pm Tuesday through Sunday and entry is $10 for adults and $4 for concessions.
The museum includes the following exhibits:
- Blacksmith shop and two bedroom cottage (restored)
- ‘Glenleigh’ thatch cottage (1890)
- Koppio one-teacher schoolhouse (1934 to 1970)
- A unique collection of very early Aboriginal artefacts
- Port Lincoln tailor shop (1910)
- Bank of Adelaide building
- White Flat Post Office (reportedly the smallest Post Office in South Australia),
- Heritage Hall (Jericho family collection)
- Display sheds featuring: tractors & farm machinery, stationary engines, shearing, grain story, hay story, vehicles
- Print Room
Koppio Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.