Newton, Mississippi facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Newton City Hall
Location of Newton, Mississippi
|• Total||7.17 sq mi (18.57 km2)|
|• Land||7.15 sq mi (18.53 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||423 ft (129 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||441.07/sq mi (170.30/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Website||City of Newton|
Newton is a city in Newton County, Mississippi. The population was 3,373 in the 2010 census.
Newton is located at United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.2 square miles (19 km2), of which 7.2 square miles (19 km2) is land and 0.14% is water.(32.325109, -89.159510). According to the
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American||2,225||69.64%|
|Hispanic or Latino||40||1.25%|
As of the 2020 United States Census, there were 3,195 people, 1,305 households, and 877 families residing in the city.
As of 2008, there were 3,674 people, 1,420 households, and 971 families residing in the city. The population density was 516.7 people per square mile (199.5/km2). There were 1,638 housing units at an average density of 228.8 per square mile (88.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 43.90% White, 54.69% African American, 0.14% Native American, 0.62% Asian, 0.19% from other races, and 0.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.87% of the population.
There were 1,420 households, out of which 30.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.1% were married couples living together, 22.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.6% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 27.4% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 19.6% from 45 to 64, and 19.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 80.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,067, and the median income for a family was $32,527. Males had a median income of $26,471 versus $19,333 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,476. About 20.1% of families and 24.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.2% of those under age 18 and 17.6% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Newton is served by the Newton Municipal School District.
- Oree Banks, head football coach at South Carolina State University from 1965 to 1972 and at West Virginia State University from 1977 to 1983
- James Evans, member of the Mississippi House of Representatives from the 70th District
- Stan Hindman, former professional American football defensive lineman in the National Football League for seven seasons for the San Francisco 49ers
- Jimbeau Hinson, country music singer-songwriter
- Shorty McWilliams, former player for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Paul Overstreet, country singer/songwriter
- Richard Parks, fantasy, science fiction and horror writer
- Elton Watkins, Congressman representing Oregon's 3rd congressional district from 1923 to 1925
Newton, Mississippi Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.