Timeline of Oakland, California facts for kids
Part of a series on the
|History of California|
- 1852 - Town of Oakland incorporated.
- 1854 - Horace Carpentier elected mayor.
- 1855 - Lyceum founded.
- 1860 - Population: 1,543.
- 1863 - Heald's Business College established.
- 1864 - Vander Naillen School of Practical Engineering established.
- 1866 - Police Court established.
- Oakland Evening Transcript newspaper begins publication.
- University of California and Oakland Library Association established.
- Oakland Long Wharf in use.
- Railway begins operating.
- Lake Merritt Wild-Fowl Sanctuary and Oakland Fire Department established.
- 1871 - Mills Seminary relocates to Oakland.
- Brooklyn becomes part of Oakland.
- Theosophical Society Library founded.
- 1873 - University of California relocates to Berkeley.
- 1875 - Oakland Daily Evening Tribune newspaper in publication.
- 1878 - Oakland Free Library opens.
- 1880 - Population: 34,456.
- 1884 - Horton School established.
- 1899 - Oakland Conservatory of Music established.
- 1900 - Population: 66,960.
- 1904 - Pacific Technical College established.
- 1906 - April 18: San Francisco earthquake; refugees flee to Oakland.
- 1907 - California School of Arts and Crafts founded.
- Samuel Merritt College founded.
- Moore & Scott Iron Works in business.
- Oakland Public Museum and YMCA open.
- Population: 150,174.
- 1912 - Oakland School Women's Club and Children's Hospital founded.
- 1913 - Oakland Yacht Club established.
- Oakland Technical High School established.
- Oakland City Hall and Civic Auditorium built.
- 1917 - Joaquin Miller Park established.
- 1920 - Population: 216,261.
- 1922 - Snow Museum of Natural History opens.
- 1923 - Tribune Tower completed.
- 1924 - Granada Theater opens.
- Oakland Airport begins operating.
- Port of Oakland opens.
- Clorox Chemical Company in business.
- Posey Tube (traffic tunnel) built.
- 1931 - Paramount Theatre built.
- 1933 - Oakland Symphony active.
- San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge opens.
- Alameda County Courthouse built.
- Alameda County Botanical and Zoological Society established.
- 1937 - Caldecott Tunnel opens.
- 1940 - Population: 302,163.
- 1944 - Oakland Army Base active.
- 1946 - 1946 Oakland General Strike begins on December 3 and ends on December 5.
- 1954 - Oakland Junior College established.
- 1961 - Coliseum Drive-In opens.
- October: Black Panther Party established.
- Oakland Coliseum opens.
- 1968 - Athletics baseball team relocates to Oakland.
- 1969 - Oakland Museum opens.
- 1970 - Regional Metropolitan Transportation Commission established.
- 1971 - Your Black Muslim Bakery in business.
- 1972 - 12th Street Oakland City Center (BART station), 19th Street Oakland (BART station), and MacArthur (BART station) open.
- 1973 - Rockridge (BART station) opens.
- 1974 - West Oakland (BART station) opens.
- 1977 - Lionel Wilson becomes mayor.
- 1982 - Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences established.
- 1985 - Alameda County Community Food Bank established.
- 1988 - Oakland East Bay Symphony established.
- 1989 - October 17: 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.
- 1990 - Population: 372,242.
- 1991 - October 20: Oakland firestorm of 1991.
- 1998 - City website online (approximate date).[chronology citation needed]
- 1999 - Jerry Brown becomes mayor.
- 2000 - Allen v. City of Oakland lawsuit filed.
- 2002 - Taoist Center opens.
- April 7: Anti-war protest.
- Women of Color Resource Center headquartered in Oakland.
- Urban Habitat headquartered in Oakland (approximate date).
- 2004 - Middle Harbor Shoreline Park landscaped.
- East Bay Meditation Center opens.
- Ron Dellums becomes mayor.
- 2008 - Cathedral of Christ the Light dedicated.
- January 1: BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant.
- March 21: 2009 shootings of Oakland police officers.
- Oakland Local begins publication.
- Ace Monster Toys founded.
- Population: city 390,724; metro 4,335,391.
- October 10: Occupy Oakland begins.
- Jean Quan becomes mayor.
- Sudoroom established.
- April 2: Oikos University shooting.
- Oakland Wiki begins publication.
- 2014 - Oakland Police Beat begins publication.
- 2017 is going to be lit
Timeline of Oakland, California Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.