Uniondale, New York facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Uniondale, New York
Looking east over Uniondale, as seen from one of the towers at Hofstra University
|Lua error in Module:Location_map at line 412: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|County||Nassau County, New York|
|• Total||2.7 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.7 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0968229|
Uniondale is a census-designated place (CDP), as well as a suburb in Nassau County, New York, United States, on Long Island, in the Town of Hempstead. The population was 24,759 at the 2010 United States Census. Uniondale is home to Hofstra University's north campus.
The community unsuccessfully tried incorporating itself as a village in the 1970s.
Uniondale is located at(40.703097, −73.591070).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2), all land. It is a diverse hamlet and neighbors the diverse towns of Hempstead, Roosevelt, East Meadow and Freeport.
In popular culture
- Two scenes from the movie The Godfather were filmed in Mitchel Field, which is part of the Uniondale School District but the Garden City Postal Zone.
At one time, Swiss International Air Lines operated its United States office at 776 RexCorp Plaza in the EAB Plaza in Uniondale. The airline moved from 41 Pinelawn Road in Melville, Suffolk County, around 2002.
Uniondale was formerly the home of the NHL's New York Islanders, who played at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum from 1972 until 2015, and again from 2018 until 2021. The 2014–15 NHL season was originally their final year at the Coliseum before the team moved to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York City. Beginning in 2018, home games were split between Barclays and the Coliseum, and beginning in 2020, the Coliseum once again became the sole home arena for the Islanders until UBS Arena opened in 2021.
- Richard Blais, chef, reality show contestant, restaurateur and author.
- Gary Dell'Abate, also known as Baba Booey, is longtime producer of The Howard Stern Show. He grew up in Uniondale.
- Edward Goljan, pathologist, professor, and USMLE/COMLEX Board Review Teacher, grew up in Uniondale.
- Sheryl Lee Ralph, Broadway and film actor and singer.
- John Moschitta Jr., an American spokesperson and singer best known for his rapid speech delivery; appeared in over 100 commercials as "The Micro Machines Man", as well as in ads for FedEx.
- Aljamain Sterling, mixed martial artist, current UFC Bantamweight Champion; born and raised in Uniondale.
- Busta Rhymes, rapper, graduated from Uniondale High School
Images for kids
Uniondale, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.