Vanadzor facts for kids
|• Total||25 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,424.6 m (4,673.9 ft)|
|• Density||4,192/km2 (10,860/sq mi)|
|Time zone||GMT (UTC+4)|
|• Summer (DST)||GMT (UTC+5)|
Vanadzor is the third-largest city in Armenia. In 2001 there were 107,394 people. It is the capital of the Lori Province. It was named Kirovakan during the Soviet era and Karakilisa during the Tsarist period.
Much of the city's history is unknown. The history of the area possibly dates back to the Bronze Age. It was definitely part of the Kingdom of Armenia. The town had a lot of damage from the 1988 Spitak earthquake.
Most of the people belong to the Armenian Apostolic Church. Vanadzor is the home of the Diocese of Gougark.
- Stepan Zoryan, an Armenian writer
- Suren Aghababyan, a literary critic
- Artavazd Peleshyan, a documentary film-maker
- Shavarsh Karapetyan, a Soviet Armenian finswimmer
- Vic Darchinyan, World unified boxing champion and the IBF, WBO, WBC champion
- Gor Mkhitarian, an Armenian rock-musician
- Tigran Sargsyan, Prime Minister of Armenia
Images for kids
Vanadzor Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.