A gigasecond (symbol: Gs) is one billion seconds. That is about 31.7 years. It can be written as 109 seconds.
This page lists times times of between 1 and 1000 gigaseconds, or between 31.7 and 31,700 years.
- Shorter times
- 351 years – half-life of californium-249
- 364 years – time since the Taj Mahal was built
- 408 years – age of the King James Bible
- 418 years – half life of silver-108
- 432.2 years – half life of americium-241
- 527 years – time since Christopher Columbus reached the New World
- 564 years – time since the printing of the first Gutenberg Bible
- 680 years – half life of niobium-91
- 790 years – amount of time the Zhou Dynasty lasted, the longest dynasty in Chinese history
- 898 years – half life of californium-251
- 969 years – alleged age of Methuselah at death
- 1000 years – one millennium = 3.16 x 1010 seconds
- 1940 years – time since the volcanic destruction of Pompeii
- 2019 years – time since the birth of Jesus Christ, according to Dionysius Exiguus
- 2062 years – time since the assassination of Julius Caesar
- 2341 years – time since the death of Alexander the Great
- 2417 years – time since the death of Socrates
- 2456 years – age of the Parthenon
- 2771 years – time since Rome was founded, according to legend
- 3,200 years—time since the Greek Dark Ages and the beginning of the Iron Age
- 3,800 years—time since alphabetic writing started
- 4,200 years—time since the completion of Stonehenge.
- 4,569 years—time since the building of the Great Pyramid at Giza.
- 4,700 years—age of oldest living plant, a bristle-cone pine
- 5,715 years -- half-life of Carbon-14
- 6,500 years—time since the invention of the wheel
- 7,370 years—half life of americium-243
- 8,500 years—half life of curium-245
- 11,000 years—time since city of Jericho was founded
- 12,000 years—time since end of Pleistocene Epoch
- 12,000 years—time since beginning of Holocene Epoch
- 12,000 years—time since beginning of Neolithic Age
- 20,300 years -- half life of niobium-94
- 21,000 years—time since the Last Glacial Maximum
- 24,110 years -- half life of plutonium-239
- 29,000 years—time since the extinction of Homo neanderthalensis.
- Longer times
Gigasecond Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.