276 facts for kids
|Centuries:||2nd century – 3rd century – 4th century|
|Decades:||240s 250s 260s – 270s – 280s 290s 300s|
|Years:||273 274 275 – 276 – 277 278 279|
- Emperor Tacitus doubled the silver content of the Roman currency.
- Marcus Annius Florianus defeats the Goths and Alans who have invaded Asia Minor. Tacitus dies of illness or is murdered at Tyana in Cappadocia.
- Florianus becomes Roman Emperor. He stops his battles against the Heruli and marches from the Bosporus. He has support from the Roman legions in Britain, Gaul, Spain and Italy. No one is the winner in a battle with Marcus Aurelius Probus in Cilicia.
- Florianus keeps power for some weeks. Then he is assassinated by his own troops near Tarsus (Turkey). Probus, age 44, is the new Emperor of Rome.
- Probus picks Marcus Aurelius Carus to Prefect of the Praetorian Guard.
- King Bahram I of Persia dies after a 3-year reign. He is succeeded by his son Bahram II.
- Reign of Mahasena in Ceylon. He tries to introduce Mahayana Buddhism to the country.
- Mani, a sage from Persia, dies at Gundeshapur.
- Gregory the Elder, bishop of Nazianzus (approximate date)
- Guo Pu, Chinese writer (d. 324)
- Jin Yuandi, emperor of the Jin Dynasty (d. 323)
- Wang Dao, statesman of the Jin Dynasty (d. 339)
276 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.