Brookfield, Illinois facts for kids
| name = Brookfield, Illinois | native_name = | native_name_lang = | settlement_type = Village | image_skyline = La Grange Park and Brookfield, Illinois.jpg | image_alt = | image_caption = Part of Brookfield and neighboring La Grange Park | image_flag = | flag_alt = | image_seal = | seal_alt = | image_shield = | shield_alt = | nickname = | motto = | image_map = File:Cook County Illinois Incorporated and Unincorporated areas Brookfield Highlighted.svg | mapsize = 260px | map_caption = Location of Brookfield in Cook County, Illinois | image_map1 = Illinois in United States (US48).svg | map_caption1 = Location of Illinois in the United States | coordinates = Coordinates: | coor_pinpoint = | coordinates_footnotes = | subdivision_type = Country | subdivision_name = United States | subdivision_type1 = State | subdivision_name1 = Illinois | subdivision_type2 = County | subdivision_name2 = Cook | subdivision_type3 = Township | subdivision_name3 = Lyons, Proviso, Riverside | established_title = Incorporated | established_date = 1893 | founder = | seat_type = | seat = | government_footnotes = | government_type = Village-manager | leader_party = | leader_title = President | leader_name = Kit P. Ketchmark | leader_title1 = | leader_name1 = | unit_pref = Imperial | area_footnotes = | area_urban_footnotes = , is open every day of the year.
- The Galloping Ghost Arcade, the largest video arcade in the United States with over 500 video and pinball games.
- North Kiwanis Park is a major area for many annual events such as German Fest, Fall Fest, Battle of the Bands, the Brookfield 4 July Parade, etc.
- The Brookfield oak savannas are the town's most natural and beautiful place, with extreme amounts of animal and plant species living next door to everyone else.
- The Grossdale Train Station, built in the 1880s, is the oldest structure in Brookfield, being there since before the city was founded.
- Salt Creek flows through many suburbs and is a tributary to the Des Plaines River. The creek is wide and long, with gentle, murky water, good fishing, and vast amounts of wildlife.
- Jaycee Ehlert Park is the largest park in Brookfield. It was home to Brookfield's renowned carnival known as "Brookfest" before it was cancelled in the mid-2000s due to various gang fights and firework malfunctions.
- William L. Blaser, Illinois state representative and businessman
- Milt Bocek, former outfielder of the Chicago White Sox
- Douglas Campbell, Green Party candidate from Michigan
- Michael Colgrass, Pulitzer Prize-winning composer
- Jim Holvay, guitarist/songwriter for the band The Mob, known for four hit songs written for The Buckinghams ("Kind of a Drag," "Hey Baby (They're Playing Our Song)," "Don't You Care," and "Susan")
- Jumex, a rapper raised in Brookfield
- Tom Kondla, basketball player with the Minnesota Pipers and Houston Mavericks of the American Basketball Association
- Joy Layne, 1950s pop singer
- George Marsh, Medal of Honor recipient during the American Civil War, born and enlisted in Brookfield
- Lou Saban, football player and coach for several college and professional teams
- Allen C. Skorepa, lichenologist
Images for kids
Brookfield, Illinois Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.