Deportivo Saprissa facts for kids
Juani Saprissa Aymá was the president of the Saprissa. Jose Francisco “Pachico” García was their manager when the team started in the Third Division. The Deportivo Saprissa won the championship of Third Division in 1947. In 1948, they played in the Second Division. They won the championship of Second Division that year, with no games lost.
In March 1959, the team became the first Latin American team to go the around the World. The "Morados", which is the team's nickname, played 25 matches in 22 countries of the world. They won 14, tied 1 and lost 7. The team scored a total of 66 goals and had 46 goals scored against them.
During the 1970s, the Deportivo Saprissa won 6 championships. They won every championship from 1972 to 1977. On October 12, 1966, the construction of their stadium started. It is called "La Cueva del Monstruo" or simply La Cueva. After 6 years, the opening of Saprissa Stadium was held on Sunday August 27, 1972.
- 26 National Championships:
- 15 national Sub- championships
- 6 championships consecutively from 1972 to 1977
- 3rd place in the FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2005
- 3rd place in the Cup RICARD, Uruguay 2006.
- A Central American tournament (1970)
- Three tournaments of Central American Fraternity (1972 and 1973 and 1978).
- A Camel Cup in the United States(1985).
- Two tournaments CONCACAF (1993 and 1995).
- Two sub- championships Inter-American Cup.
- LG Cup (1998).
- The Uncaf Cup 2003.
- CONCACAF Champions 2005.
- Statistics taken from the official website
Images for kids
Deportivo Saprissa Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.