Girard, Ohio facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|City of Girard|
Henry Barnhisel House
Location within the state of Ohio
Location of Girard in Trumbull County
|• Total||6.22 sq mi (16.11 km2)|
|• Land||5.74 sq mi (14.86 km2)|
|• Water||0.48 sq mi (1.25 km2)|
|Elevation||906 ft (276 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||1,607.77/sq mi (620.79/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1048785|
Girard is located at(41.158607, −80.695558).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.37 square miles (16.50 km2), of which 5.88 square miles (15.23 km2) is land and 0.49 square miles (1.27 km2) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2010, there were 9,958 people, 4,307 households, and 2,663 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,693.5 inhabitants per square mile (653.9/km2). There were 4,746 housing units at an average density of 807.1 per square mile (311.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.2% White, 4.0% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
There were 4,307 households, of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.9% were married couples living together, 16.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 38.2% were non-families. 32.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.92.
The median age in the city was 41.8 years. 21.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.1% were from 25 to 44; 28.9% were from 45 to 64; and 17.1% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.7% male and 53.3% female.
Many scholars believe that Girard was named for Stephen Girard, philanthropist and founder of Girard College at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was first settled in 1800 but remained static until the Ohio and Erie Canal was completed.
There are a number of schools in Girard and the surrounding area that provide for students:
- Prospect Elementary School (Public/PK-3; Blue Ribbon School)
- St. Rose Elementary School (Private/PK-8)
- Girard Intermediate Middle School (Public/4-6)
- Girard Junior High School (Public/7-8)
- Girard Senior High School (Public/9-12)
- Roosevelt Elementary School (City of McDonald, Public/PK-6)
- McDonald High School (City of McDonald, Public/7-12)
- Washington Elementary School (City of Niles, Public/K-5)
- Stiv Bators: American punk rock vocalist and guitarist best remembered for his bands The Dead Boys and The Lords of the New Church.
- Kathleen Bradley: a Barker's Beauty on The Price Is Right from 1990 to 2001
- Delos Drake: former Major League Baseball player from 1906 - 1916
- Pat Meyer: offensive Coach For LA Chargers
- Mel Triplett: former American football player
Girard, Ohio Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.