Lee Hsien Loong facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Lee Hsien Loong
|3rd Prime Minister of Singapore|
August 12, 2004 – Present
|Born||February 10, 1952
|Political party||People's Action Party|
Lee Hsien Loong was born in Kandang Kerbau Hospital (presently known as KK Women's and Children's Hospital). He is the first child of Lee Kuan Yew and Kwa Geok Choo.
Background and education
- His grandmother (father's side), Chua Jim Neo is a Hokkien Nyonya. His mother's ancestors are from Tong'an District, Xiamen, Fujian, China.
- Studied at Nanyang Primary School, Catholic High School and National Junior College.
In 1971, Lee joined the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF). Lee was promoted to very high rank quickly in the Singapore Army. In July 1983, he became the youngest Brigadier General in Singapore. He left SAF in 1984.
Early political life
In the 1980s, Lee Kuan Yew said he will step down as Prime Minister in 1984. Lee Hsien Loong was considered in the list of new leaders in PAP.
In 1984, at 32, He was elected an MP. His father immediately assigned him as a Minister of State for some ministries.
In 1987, he joined in the Cabinet as the Minister for Trade and Industry and Second Minister for Defence.
From 2008 to 2012, Lee's salary is S$3.87 million every year. He had a salary increase of 25%, it was originally S$3,091,200.
In January 2012, his salary was reduced to S$2.2 million due to the public then complaining about his unfair salary. But, he is still the prime minister with the highest salary in the world.
- Wong Ming Yang, Lee's first wife is a Malaysian-born doctor who was married in 1978. He has two children - Li Xiuqi and Li Yipeng. Three weeks after giving birth to Lee's first son, Li Yipeng, an albino, she died of heart attack on 28 October 1982, at 31 years old.
- While married to Ho Ching once again, a civil servant who went on to become CEO of Temasek Holdings in 1985, Lee Hsien Loong has another two more sons - Li Hongyi and Li Haoyi.
- Ho Ching's first son, Li Hongyi, won the Lee Kuan Yew Award for Math & Science in 2006. Also in 2006, he became an officer of SAF.
- Lee Hsien Loong has been diagnosed with lymphoma in 1992, and subsequently prostate cancer in February 2018.
Images for kids
Lee Hsien Loong Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.