Marlow, Oklahoma facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Marlow, Oklahoma
|• Total||7.1 sq mi (18.4 km2)|
|• Land||7.1 sq mi (18.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,312 ft (400 m)|
|• Density||657/sq mi (253/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1095149|
Marlow is located in northern Stephens County, Oklahoma, in the southern part of the state, at (34.643410, -97.958806).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.1 square miles (18 km2), of which, 7.1 square miles (18 km2) of it is land and 0.14% is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,662 people, 1,862 households, and 1,257 families residing in the city. The population density was 657 people per square mile (253/km²). There were 2,119 housing units at an average density of 298.5 per square mile (115/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 87.2% white, 0.2% African American, 5.2% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 1.6% from other races, and 5.6% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos were 4.4% of the population, having doubled since 2000.
There were 1,862 households out of which half (50.1%) were married couples, a third (34.3%) included children under the age of 18, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. Less than a third (28.9) of households were made up of individuals; 14.5% of households had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.
In the city, the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 23.7% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.8 years. For every 100 females there were 88 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $43,221, and the median income for a family was $57,713. Males had a median income of $34,325 versus $29,21 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,299. An estimated 10.7% of families and 15.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.3% of those under age 18 and 12.7% of those age 65 or over.
- Terry Brown, former NFL defensive back for Minnesota Vikings
- Ross Coyle, gridiron football player
- Joe Dial, former world record-holder in pole vault, 2011 inductee into Pole Vault Hall of Fame
- Cady Groves (1989-2020), singer-songwriter
- Sam Hinkie, general manager of NBA's Philadelphia 76ers
- Barry Hinson, basketball head coach, Southern Illinois University
- Sonny Liles, football player
- James C. Nance, Oklahoma community newspaper chain publisher and former Speaker of the Oklahoma House of Representatives, President pro tempore of the Oklahoma Senate and member Uniform Law Commission
- Eula Pearl Carter Scott (1915-2005), became youngest female aviator in Oklahoma in 1929.
Marlow, Oklahoma Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.