|The Astrodome, Eighth Wonder of the World|
|Former names||The Astrodome
Harris County Domed Stadium
|Location||8400 Kirby Drive, Houston, Texas 77054 U.S.|
|Broke ground||January 3, 1962|
|Opened||April 12, 1965|
|Closed||December 21, 1996 (NFL)
October 9, 1999 (MLB)
2003 (rodeo) 2004 (official)
|Construction cost||$35 million USD|
|Architect||Hermon Lloyd & W.B. Morgan and Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson|
|Houston Oilers (NFL) 1968–1997
Houston Astros (MLB) (1965-1999)
Houston Gamblers (USFL) (1984-1985)
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (1966-2003)
The Astrodome, which was called "Reliant Astrodome", is a domed sports stadium. The Astrodome was the first of its type built. It is in Houston, Texas. It is a part of the Reliant Park complex. The building opened in 1965. At that time, it was named the Harris County Domed Stadium. It was also called the "Eighth Wonder of the World".
Teams and notable events
- The first home run in the Astrodome was by Mickey Mantle. The pitcher was Turk Farrell. This was on April 9, 1965 in a game between the Astros and the New York Yankees. The first official home run was hit by Richie Allen of the Philadelphia Phillies in a game on April 12th of that year a 2-0 Astros loss.
- Robert Altman's 1970 show Brewster McCloud was set at the Astrodome.
- The 1986 National League Championship Series ended at that time as the longest post-season game in history. The hometown Astros lost a 16-inning Game 6 to the New York Mets, 5–3.
- The Game of the Century between the University of Houston Cougars and the UCLA Bruins took place at the Astrodome in 1968. It was the first NCAA regular season game broadcast nationwide in prime time. This made college basketball, as a sports value on television. This and paved the way for the modern "March Madness" television coverage.
- The dome hosted the WWF's WrestleMania event called WrestleMania X-Seven, which is considered by most, the end of the Attitude Era.
Images for kids
NRG Park area, Houston, Texas. Astrodome, with NRG Stadium at center of this 2010 astronaut photo
Astrodome Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.