Shiga Prefecture facts for kids
|• Total||4,017.38 km2 (1,551.12 sq mi)|
|Population (October 1, 2015)|
|• Density||351.7009/km2 (910.9010/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||JP-25|
|Bird||Little grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis)|
|Flower||Rhododendron (Rhododendron metternichii var. hondoense)|
|Tree||Japanese maple (Acer palmatum)|
Shiga Prefecture (滋賀県 Shiga-ken) is a prefecture of Japan located in the Kansai region of Honshu. Shiga Prefecture has a population of 1,412,916 (1 October 2015) and has a geographic area of 4,017 km² (1,551 sq mi). Shiga Prefecture borders Fukui Prefecture to the north, Gifu Prefecture to the northeast, Mie Prefecture to the southeast, and Kyoto Prefecture to the west.
Ōtsu is the capital and largest city of Shiga Prefecture, with other major cities including Kusatsu, Nagamhama, and Higashiōmi. Shiga Prefecture encircles Lake Biwa, the largest freshwater lake in Japan, and 37% of the total land area is designated as Natural Parks, the highest of any prefecture. Shiga Prefecture's southern half is located adjacent to the former capital city of Kyoto and forms part of Greater Kyoto, the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Japan. Shiga Prefecture is home to Ōmi beef, the Eight Views of Ōmi, and Hikone Castle, one of four national treasure castles in Japan.
Shiga used to be called Ōmi Province or Gōshū before Japan began using the prefectural system.
Lake Biwa is at the center of this prefecture. The lake divides the prefecture into four areas:
- Kohoku (湖北), north of lake and centered at Nagahama
- Kosei (湖西), west of lake and centered at Imazu
- Kotō (湖東), east of lake and centered at Hikone
- Konan (湖南), south of lake and centered at Ōtsu
Cities in Shiga Prefecture include
- Ōtsu (capital)
National Parks are established in about 37% of the total land area of the prefecture.
There are ten universities, two junior colleges, and a learning center of The Open University of Japan in Shiga.
- Shiga University (Hikone and Otsu)
- Shiga University of Medical Science (Otsu)
- University of Shiga Prefecture (Hikone)
- Shiga Junior College (Otsu)
- Shiga Bunkyo Junior College (Nagahama)
- Seian University of Art and Design (Otsu)
- Seisen University (Hikone)
- Nagahama Institute of Bio-Science and Technology (Nagahama)
- Biwako-Gakuin University (Higashiomi)
- Biwako-Gakuin College (Higashiomi)
- Biwako Seikei Sport College (Otsu)
- Ritsumeikan University (Kyoto and Kusatsu)
- Ryukoku University (Kyoto and Otsu)
Shiga has agreements with three states.
Shrines and Temples
Images for kids
Shiga Prefecture Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.