St. Johns, Michigan facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
St. Johns, Michigan
|City of St. Johns|
The Clinton County Courthouse
Mint City USA
Location within Clinton County
|• Total||4.21 sq mi (10.91 km2)|
|• Land||4.21 sq mi (10.91 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||791 ft (241 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||1,885.38/sq mi (727.96/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0636718|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 7,865 people, 3,147 households, and 2,011 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,032.3 inhabitants per square mile (784.7/km2). There were 3,451 housing units at an average density of 891.7 per square mile (344.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.9% White, 1.4% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.2% from other races, and 2.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.6% of the population.
There were 3,147 households, of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.2% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.1% were non-families. 30.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.95.
The median age in the city is 37.2. 25.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.5% were from 25 to 44; 24.1% were from 45 to 64; and 15.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.7% male and 52.3% female.
- US 127 connects north to Mt. Pleasant, and Grayling. Southward, it passes through Lansing and Jackson en route to Ohio. It provides a direct connection to I-69 and I-96.
Bus. US 127 is a business loop traveling through the city.
- M-21 is an east-west highway passing through the city, connecting to Grand Rapids, approximately 66 miles (106 km) to the west, and Flint, about 45 miles (72 km) to the east.
- Scheduled passenger air carrier flights are available from Capital Region International Airport, in south-central Clinton County.
- Robert Asprin, science fiction and fantasy author
- Roy Beechler, football player and coach
- Leo Burnett, advertising executive
- Myrtelle Canavan, pathologist, discovered Canavan Disease
- Voltairine de Cleyre, anarchist writer and feminist
- Eric Esch, commonly referred to as Butterbean, former fighter
- The Houghton brothers, creators of Big City Greens
- Andrew Kehoe, perpetrator of the Bath School Disaster
- Philip Orin Parmelee, aviator
- Oliver L. Spaulding, Civil War general in the 23rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, politician, and regent of the University of Michigan
- Lee Upton, poet, fiction writer, and literary critic
- Lola Carrier Worrell, composer
St. Johns, Michigan Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.