Atlantic Beach, New York facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Atlantic Beach, New York
|Incorporated Village of Atlantic Beach|
|County||Nassau County, New York|
|• Total||1.04 sq mi (2.69 km2)|
|• Land||0.44 sq mi (1.14 km2)|
|• Water||0.60 sq mi (1.55 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||4,332.57/sq mi (1,671.97/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0942673|
Atlantic Beach is a village located off the South Shore of Long Island in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, United States. As of the 2020 United States Census, the village population was 1,707.
The Incorporated Village of Atlantic Beach is located on Long Beach Barrier Island, one of the outer barrier islands which it shares with Long Beach, East Atlantic Beach, Lido Beach and Point Lookout.
During the summer months, the population swells by thousands as people flood the beaches and the summer residents move in. Atlantic Beach residents may obtain season passes and access the beaches through nine entrances. It has been described as the "Genuine 'Old New York' paradise".
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2020, there were 1,707 people, 567 households, and 301 families residing in the village. As of the 2010 Census, the population density was 3,782 people per square mile (1454.6/km2). There were 1091 housing units at an average density of 2,182 per square mile (1,678/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 96.61% White, 0.63% African American, 0.95% Asian, 1.11% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.09% of the population. The median age was 53.5 years For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males.
According to the 2018 American Community Survey, the population was 1,398, and the median age was 56.3 years old. 2.0% of the population was under 5 years old. 84% of the population was older than 18 and 26% was older than 65 years old. Of the village's population, 9.8% spoke a language other than English at home. 94.1% of the population. was white alone. 12.1% of the population was disabled.The median income for a household in the village was $139,250. Males had a median income of $108,333 versus $94,063 for females. The per capita income for the village was $44,035. About 2.3% of the population were below the poverty line,
- The Vanderbilt family, a prominent shipping and railroading family, founded by patriarch Cornelius Vanderbilt.
- Various members of the Kennedy Family
- Ethel Barrymore, American actress and member of the Barrymore family.
- James "Jimmy" Walker, NYC Mayor 1926-1932
- Guy Lombardo, Canadian-American musician
- Peter Lorre, Hungarian-American actor
- Al Goodman, musician and broadway conductor.
- Bruce Blakeman, Nassau County Executive, first presiding officer of Nassau County and former Commissioner of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- Nancy Shevell McCartney, the third wife of Beatle Paul McCartney, former wife of Bruce Blakeman, lived together in Atlantic Beach
- Jon Heyman, sports journalist.
- J. Ezra Merkin, Bernie Madoff investor, and former chairman of GMAC, or as it is better known, Ally Financial.
- Max Stern, prominent Jewish-American billionaire, founder of Hartz Mountain Corporation, and namesake of Stern College.
- Ira Rennert, prominent Jewish-American billionaire, and the Chairman and CEO of Renco Group.
- Leonard Stern, prominent Jewish-American billionaire, philanthropist, and namesake of the NYU Stern School of Business.
- Henry Swieca, Jewish-American billionaire and co-founder of Highbridge Capital Management.
- John Madden, brother of fashion designer Steve Madden, and his wife Sherrie.
- John J. Phelan, local fisherman
- Marc J. Straus, art gallery owner
Atlantic Beach, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.